Clevenger Bros. Repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Batbrat

Reaction score
Whiskeyman, thanks for the welcome and for the info. I contacted Tom and he was extremely helpful. He told me he thinks my bottle is Italian, and not Clevenger. He added the mold resembles one used by Clayton Glassworks (Jersey glassmakers down the street from Clevengers) and also Downer Glass Works, but doesn't have the same base. He even included photos for comparison. The photo of the Downer crown bottle also had a crimped mouth. Interesting stuff. Thanks again for your help!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BATBRAT...ya know: I get so tired of telling folks their bottles are Italian that I was hoping this one was Clevenger.
Glad TOM was able to help ya out.[:D]

TNCGAL did a little hunting and came up with these similar Crowns. All made in Italy and all marked as such...also note none have the ruffled/crimped mouth.

(Thanks TNCGAL).

Leading me to think the Downer Glass Works may be the source of yours....being as TOM stated they also crimped the mouths.... I think it's Circa 1960's to 1970's.

Ebay item#6206398001

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7353348986&category=4934

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/antiquesareus/iteml/jl-348#pic3

whiskeyman

Reaction score
oh...if they were made in Italy, it must have been by some imitator company as Victrylite Candle Co base marked theirs...

One way to tell an Italian repo: they were often made in an Early Owens machine....this machine left two seams at the neck - mouth area....The 2 main body seams ran up the sides and to the neck....at the neck the two seams turn 90 degrees to each other and run on up through the lip....and another seam runs around the neck, usually at the collar or at another nearby juncture.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BATBRAT...did ya save the pics TOM sent? If ya did...Ya mind postin' them here? Thanks....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28