COCA COLA BOTTLE "CAP" - (Help w/ID-Date)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Perhaps the photo below will better illustrate my query. The one on the left is the cap in question, compared to the one on the right which is obviously different. My camera is not the best, nor am I the best photographer, but you should be able to see difference in the gold metal vs. the silver metal. But even more interesting is the Coca Cola "Spencerian" script on the cap on the left. Notice that it is of a slightly less-uniformed style, and appears older. And especially notice the "tail" on the capital "C" in the word Cola. I have read of this "wider tail" referred to as Coca Cola's older "Fish Tail" design, and that it was only used in the early days. After a period of time, (date unknown), they inaugurated a more uniformed look (like the one on the right), that was eventually "required" throughout the entire Coca Cola industry.

So now you know as much about my cap as I do, which really isn't all that much. But I suppose only with more research will I ever be able to date it accurately. And at this point I would even settle for an approximate date. But are we talking about circa 1900-1905, circa 1905-1910, circa 1910-1920 or circa 1920-1930?

No big deal, I guess ... but I would sure like to know just for the heck of it.

Thanks,

SPB

3F3584481AB54528B478BDD373C7B795.jpg

Attachments

• 3F3584481AB54528B478BDD373C7B795.jpg
    3F3584481AB54528B478BDD373C7B795.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 125

fanboy

Reaction score
I must admit, most of my experience is with Canadian Coca Cola caps. There should be fairly strong similarities to US caps.

The only full SS bottle I have, the cap is covered in fine rust and there is no visible print. At that; I can not guarantee it wasn't filled in the 60's or 70's. I do have 1 other SS that was definitly refilled in the 60's.

I personally feel your cap is likely 1940's. That is based on the apparent thinness of the cap, the color of the printing and the reasonably centered printing.

I have many Canadian caps, including what I believe to be a pre-1915 cap, many later and most importantly a Winnipeg Headquarters cap. Winnipeg was the headquarters for Coca Cola Company of Canada between 1915 and 1923; before and after it was Toronto. This gives me a very good reference for a cap of this period. The printing is off center, and the cap when compared to a later cap; the flange is noticeably larger. The pre-1915 is also larger and the printing is offset by about 10-15%.

It is my feeling if you had 1930-1950's caps next to this one, it would litterly stand out like a sore thumb, as it is that different.

I will try to take a picture to illustrate later...

Good luck with the hunt!
Chris

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I just spent the last hour or so conducting what I call a "forensic" study of the Coca Cola signature. I am saddened to report I could find no specifics regarding the subtile changes to the signature over the years. I looked at literally hundreds of magazine ads starting with 1904 through about 1950. And about the only thing I discovered is it "appears" they finally got their act together and became considerably more uniformed sometime in the mid to late 1920s. But prior to this approximate date things are all over the place with no real rhyme or reason to them.

So with that said, I may have to give up the search unless someone just happens to have a "still capped" bottle in their collection with my exact style of cap still on it. And should one of these elusive bottles ever turn up, I'll bet you an ice cold bottle of Coke that the cap went to a straight-sided bottle.

Please prove me wrong. There is nothing I'd rather do than ... "Buy The World A Coke." [:D]

Sincerely,

Dr. Bob [8|]

P.S. Chris ~ ... Thanks. You were posting while I was typing. And you are probably right. I just wish there was some simple method of knowing for sure. I am totally open minded to anything and everything you have to contribute. "Obi-Wan Kanobi, you are my last hope!" [:)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

Please don't yell at me, but I changed my "opinion" from straight-sided bottle to "PRE-1920." And will stand by it this time! But I am still back to my original question ... How in the heck do I "prove" it?

Thanks a million,

Bob

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Bob, I ask a dealer and collector of crown caps that I deal w/what year this was and,........................1928-35. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

If you wanna ask him, you can find him on ebay as "cogp15t" he'll answer any question you may have.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
OsiaBoyce ~

First of all ... Thank you. I am glad you were able to date my cap. That was exactly what this thread was intended for. You were right all along. 1928-1935 totally works for me.That would definitely make it a hobbleskirt bottle, and likely from Virginia.

The reason I thought it was pre-1920, is because that's what the seller at the bottle show told me three years ago when I bought it. I only paid $2.00 for it, so I just tossed in in a bowl with about 50 other caps and forget about it. But when the earthquake knocked the bowl off the shelf, I picked it up off the floor and remembered it. And that's when I got to think'n about the 1920 date, and just got curious because I really couldn't confirm it on my own. Thus, I came to Antique-Bottles.net and found the answer. I was prejudiced in the begining because of what the seller told me. But I now stand corrected thanks to y'all, and especially ... OsiaBoyce ... you know him, he's the guy who works for O.S.I.A. and goes around inspecting saftey in work places. He sure did a good job here. [:)]

fanboy ~

Right on, man! You brought this whole thing to the surface. I was ready to let it sink until you came along and threw me a life preserver to keep from drowning. D'ya want to buy a 1930-something Coca Cola bottle cap? I got one. I'll let you have it for $5.00 ... oh, wait! I almost forgot. I owe you a ice cold Coke. Cool with me ... but'ja gotta come to So Cal to get it. Let me know when you're coming.

Seriously,

Thanks to one for all & all for one.

SODAPOPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
OsiaBoyce ~

I didn't mention this earlier because I wanted to experiment with it first. But that bottle cap link you provided is giving me some problems. Or maybe it's just me. Anyway, when you open the link it goes straight to their home page, and then from there it's necessary to do a search. Except everytime I put something into their search program it doesn't work. The only thing I've been able to do so far is start with the "A's" and then scroll page by page alphabetically until I get to where I want. But this takes forever. What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to go straight to the Coke caps? I'm usually pretty good at this stuff, but this one has me temporarily stumped.

Thanks again,

Bob

P.S. Another reason I thought my cap was 1920s is because prior to posting my query here I did some seperate research and every cap I came across for the 1930s looked like the one below that is from e-Bay. In fact, this particular one just closed. The link below should still work. (At least it did when I tested it a minute ago). And if it opens like it should, you'll see where the seller is referring to this cap as 1930. Which looks nothing like mine. So you can see one of the reasons for my confusion about the date.

SPB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290427007312&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3CF46C37F409478EB7F250E75FCC1551.jpg

Attachments

• 3CF46C37F409478EB7F250E75FCC1551.jpg
    3CF46C37F409478EB7F250E75FCC1551.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 106

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
OsiaBoyce ~

I finally figured out that bottle cap website. (It was me who was messing up). You have to go to the "Quick Search" and then enter your preference at "the very top" of the box.

Plus here's the link that I believe you intended for us to look at earlier with the 1923 cap in the upper right. I would attach a photo of it but it's in a "bmp" format that won't work here unless it's converted to "jpeg," which I have been unable to do so far. Anyway, you're right, it looks nothing like mine.

http://www.bottlecapclub.org/

Thanks,

SPB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm just messing around here and thought I would try that image again of the 1923 Coca Cola bottle cap. I was finally able to convert it.

SPB

D17C977BB4EB415485577A9E3CB2052A.jpg

Attachments

• D17C977BB4EB415485577A9E3CB2052A.jpg
    D17C977BB4EB415485577A9E3CB2052A.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 111

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member