Concreted box with surprize inside.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Potlidboy

Reaction score
About four years ago, I was in pursuit of old bottles South of Sacramento in the Delta region....I found a little dump with a few items showing promise....After digging around for a while & finding a Pacific Soda Water bottle (a blob top) & a Nabob whiskey...I came across a very rusty concreted metal box (12"" x 8" X 4" tall....Through the rust, lime & rock hard concretion I could see the slight curve of a brass coin...matter of fact, there were several coins all in a row in the end of the box. Everything was compacted together...I gathered up the box with contents intact & took them to the car.....The more I looked..... the more curious I became....What lay in the box concealed ? At home I slowly took the metal box apart being careful to protect the contents....

It took three weeks to conserve the interior contents....but I was able to preserve the whole thing.....The metal box had contained a complete set of Tien Gow....from the very small ivory die...to the small blue & white game pieces & a complete set of Ebony dominoes.....It was all there....I can only date it by the bottles around it : circa 1880 to 1890....

I check on the items every so often, but my conservation technique seems to have worked....I mean hours of meticulous labor...hand rubbed oil to preserve the Ebony & Ivory....(sounds like a Paul McCartney song)

The Chinese were very present in the Sacramento delta....They built the levees & worked the crops...They eventually went to the Central Pacific to build the railroad....The Chinese people were a very important part of early California history....In the delta, Tongs were a way of life...gaming was the rule.

B530CE56A01F4A62B28B80F399BB9657.jpg

Attachments

• B530CE56A01F4A62B28B80F399BB9657.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 86

Potlidboy

Reaction score
AntiqueMeds.........Yeah....fulling around with Chinese coins is trickey....but I think most are Emperor Jen Tsung Reign circa 1796--1820.....probably used as game pieces rather then $$$$. Kinda fun though.....matching the lines & swirls & dudas....( my poor anglo knowledge )....Thanks for the question.

rockbot

Reaction score
The blue and white pieces could be from the board game called "Go". I have dug pieces made of stones and polished like little disks used for this game.

Cool finds!

ORIGINAL: Potlidboy

About four years ago, I was in pursuit of old bottles South of Sacramento in the Delta region....I found a little dump with a few items showing promise....After digging around for a while & finding a Pacific Soda Water bottle (a blob top) & a Nabob whiskey...I came across a very rusty concreted metal box (12"" x 8" X 4" tall....Through the rust, lime & rock hard concretion I could see the slight curve of a brass coin...matter of fact, there were several coins all in a row in the end of the box. Everything was compacted together...I gathered up the box with contents intact & took them to the car.....The more I looked..... the more curious I became....What lay in the box concealed ? At home I slowly took the metal box apart being careful to protect the contents....

It took three weeks to conserve the interior contents....but I was able to preserve the whole thing.....The metal box had contained a complete set of Tien Gow....from the very small ivory die...to the small blue & white game pieces & a complete set of Ebony dominoes.....It was all there....I can only date it by the bottles around it : circa 1880 to 1890....

I check on the items every so often, but my conservation technique seems to have worked....I mean hours of meticulous labor...hand rubbed oil to preserve the Ebony & Ivory....(sounds like a Paul McCartney song)

The Chinese were very present in the Sacramento delta....They built the levees & worked the crops...They eventually went to the Central Pacific to build the railroad....The Chinese people were a very important part of early California history....In the delta, Tongs were a way of life...gaming was the rule.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great find! From this end it doesn't look like anything was buried at all, let alone encased in a tenacious concretion for over a century. A testament to your restoration skills! I don't know one way or another if the Chinese cash coins were a popular unit of exchange amongst the Chinese immigrants at the time, but even if used as tokens I doubt any Chinese individual worth his salt would throw them and the game set away.

I'm guessing that there is a more painful and sinister story behind the set getting tossed. Maybe an immigrant was robbed/killed, or evicted, and had all their possessions stolen with the unwanted items thrown away. To a poor Chinaman the whole kit would likely have been decently valuable.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay