Condys Patent Natural Disinfectant Battersea Jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shopgoodwill

Reaction score
I recently acquired a very nice "Condys Patent Natural Disinfectant Battersea" Jug. From my research, a chemist Henry Condy in 1857 invented a solution of alkaline manganates and permanganates that was marketed as a cure for scarlet fever, snake bites, open sores, purifying water, disinfectant, and many other uses. It is still available today, and Condys is still used as a generic term for this solution. Condy manufactured this solution from 1857-1897 at a family-owned factory in Battersea Great Britain, and ceased manufacturing, and sold the plant in 1897.
condys 1.jpg
condys 3.jpg
condys 4.jpg
My belief is that I have is an original jug sold by Condy from the Battersea plant dating it to the 1857-1897 time frame. The Jug is in excellent condition, and is 6 3/4" across the bottom, and 12 3/4" high. It appears that for most situations this solution is highly diluted for use, making me believe that such a large quantity would have probably been made for a hospital, morgue (covers the stench of rotting flesh), or some other commercial use. If you have any additional information, or corrections, please let me know. I would also like to get an estimate of value, I have not been able to find any reference to Condy jugs, and only a few to bottles, leading me to believe this is very rare.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese