Conn River Stubbie?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amblypygi

Reaction score
The lip style on my stubby isn't pictured in Pappas' book on Stoddard glass, but it is shown on page 60 of Anne Field's On the trail of Stoddard glass (1975). The exact twin of Joel's stubby is shown in one of Pappas' plates, nice find!.

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Ambly...

Yea, Joel has found Terrific stuff! He really knows his bottles and his diggin... for sure!

He keeps threatening me to take up diving so I tell him that he needs to be aware of underwater volcanoes, 10 foot deep mud, no visibility, giant sea calms, giant lobsters and sharks... I don't know if I scared him, but he's still diggin and I'm still diving...[:D]

Wayne

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I'd say your dive sites are safe for a while....at least until I blow my back out and can't dig.[:D]

Then I'm in, sharks and all.

Joel

amblypygi

Reaction score
Heh, yeah, I have a friend like that but I made the mistake of getting him into diving [:mad:]

One of those guys with an uncanny ability to find bottles. This fall I actually managed to find a Smith's Green Mountain Renovator (the $50 kind, not the $1000 one :) that he had swum right over. He digs like a damn mole too, luckily we have a fair split policy on digs or I'd be out of luck.

Seriously, this coming June we should plan a dive trip. I know some good spots that are huge and should be spitting out some new goodies this year. I went up with my wife a couple summers ago and dove alone while tethered to the canoe with her watching to be sure I kept making bubbles [:)]

We found some good stuff, and I know nobody had ever been diving there because I found this huge 5-gallon jug about half exposed:

Sp45298.jpg

amblypygi

Reaction score
It was chock full of sand when I dug it out too, I sucked up about 500 pounds of air just shaking the thing out before surfacing. We wisely loaded it from shore rather than testing how stable the canoe was [:)]

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Mainepontil

I'd say your dive sites are safe for a while....at least until I blow my back out and can't dig.[:D]

Then I'm in, sharks and all.

Joel

Hey Joel,

So you think diving is easy on the back, huh?.... [;)]

(In cold water with a current I wear 48 pounds of lead plus the rest of my gear which must weigh another 80 or so. I could get away with less but the extra weight is helpful in a river where it's nice to be able to plant yourself on the bottom when you want to).

Sean

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85