Corset Waisted Scroll

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
I am not sure but I believe the sticker is from the sale of his collection at Skinners back in the 70s. Somewhere I have a book that has a list and description of that sale. I tried unsuccessfuly to find it to help document the provenance.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I think so too, I've seen others. I don't have the catalog that Norm Heckler put together for the sale but I've been looking. So far they have all been in the $60 and up price.
I have some old Bottle News Magazines from just after the sale but they only listed the $1000+ bottles. I figure this was more in the $100 range, still not bad for 1975 IMO. I looked through and I think there was a GIX-46 in sapphire blue for $2800? I'd have to look again.
You should see my catalog from the McKearins shop in the 30's. If they had one it may have $5-10 but that one isn't listed.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
I can verify that this flask was lot 2833 in the Gardner sale. It brought $900 at the sale.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Wow Jeff, that was a good chunk of change back then. I wonder why there are no bites. Even with the economy and easier access now it should do better. There were no internet bids then, maybe phone but that method probably left a bunch of potential bids out. Were people just eager to get anything from Mr. Gardner, one of the grandfathers of the hobby? [8|]

botlguy

Reaction score
I too am wondering about why this flask has no takers.

I bought this at the Denver Expo in 2000 for $1300 -$1400 from a very reputable seller who was set up close to a Mr. Heckler and a new kid on the block by the name of Jeff Noordsey. I bought something from both of those fine fellows but can't remember what.

I am sure, according to correspondence from potential buyers, that the roughness on the lip bothers them. It's all in-manufacture but I find some / many newer collectors either just object or don't understand the manufacturing process.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with it if it doesn't sell but it won't be at less than what I've already offered it for. I guess I'll just have to start collecting flasks again with this one and another scroll that didn't sell as a start. [8D][8D][:D][:D] Got any good historicals for sale Jeff? [;)][;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's all in-manufacture but I find some / many newer collectors either just object or don't understand the manufacturing process.
Tough call for me. I'm not an expert but I'd think the reason for the pontil would be to fire polish the lip primarily. It could be a slow cork pry out but it looks very even around the edges.
Maybe it was end of day, the rod was attached and they makers just said "screw it", I'm going home? Maybe the rod gets attached regardless so the bottle can breath before annealing. I wasn't there so I don't know.
I wouldn't really call it damaged at any rate. It looks like it was mostly done at the time of making or opening.
It's a great bottle but I still don't have any moola.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS