Cowans Cure

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ka0s

Reaction score
I will put some photo's up in the morning but I wondered if anyone has seen this bottle.

Its purple and looks just like an ink well with the words cowans cure embossed on the bottome of the bottle in a circle.

I know its early as it came from a 1880's privy in Phoenix AZ, I was unable to find anything about it digging around online.

Ka0s

Reaction score
l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey David,

I'm wondering if this is a Gowan's Pneumonia Cure, rather than a Cowan's. It's looking a bit more recent than 1880's to me.

"Hundreds of companies were taken to court under various sections of the new statute. The burden fell upon the United States Department of Agriculture, Office of the Secretary. In Notice of Judgment No 180 of the Food and Drug Act issue March 4, 1910 were the results of a 1908 suit against Gowan's Pneumonia Cure for the misbranding of a drug. The product was sold in a 3 3/8 tall clear glass cylinder embossed on the base Gowan’s Pneumonia Cure." From "Digger" Odell.

"GOWAN'S PNEUMONIA CURE

This preparation which was examined in the laboratory of the American Medical Association was not considered of sufficient
importance to warrant an exhaustive chemical analysis as its general character sufficient for all practical purposes can be determined by a cursory examination. The pneumonia cure as found on the market is a brownish ointment having an odor of camphor. When applied to the skin or subjected to a temperature approximately that of the body it becomes liquid. It is almost completely soluble in chloroform indicating the absence of any applicable quantity of water or inorganic constituents. Tests indicate that the base of the ointment is a fat. From these facts we conclude that Gowan's Pneumonia Cure is an ointment composed of some fat having a low melting point, and containing camphor, and if the statements on the label are to be given credence a small quantity of opium.

This nostrum is recommended by the purveyors as a valuable remedy for local application and it is said to be "antiseptic, nutrient, antipyretic, and diaphoretic." It is claimed that it will determine blood to the surface and relieve congestion. The base is said to be emulsified fats which are readily absorbed and the implication is made that the other constituents also are absorbed. It probably equals in therapeutic value the old fashioned camphorated oil application. In common with other so called "cures" sold to the public its viciousness lies in the false sense of security its use engenders.

A sample of "Gowan's Pneumonia Cure" has also been analyzed at the government laboratory (see index) and the product was found to consist of:
Lard
Camphor
Turpentine
Carbolic Acid
Opium
Stearin
Quinin
Quinin sulphate

The proprietors of this nostrum were convicted and fined under the Food and Drugs Act for misbranding their product. (From The Journal AMA May 9 1908 with additions.) From Nostrums & Quackery.

Post 1908 History is Here.

1_225111914cf287c47d96357301d47a94.jpg
From.

garland_harry_mt.jpg

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
That's a Gowan's Cure. I think its a bit later one. They ran into trouble with the F&D Act and I would guess they took the PNEUMONIA off to make themselves less of a target but I dont think it helped them too much.
Gowan's had opium in it so the druggie people will alway buy the bottles.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'll go along with that and as for the spelling, don't worry, even Bill Agee got it wrong the first time around.
I do wonder about being privy dug though, it should be clear. Maybe it was on top and baked in the AZ sun? [8|][8|]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
It appears to have experienced some UV after being dug but hard to tell for sure.
No question it was clear at birth.

Ka0s

Reaction score
I don't think this bottle was nuked but maybe spent some time in the sun (has a few lighter and darker spots in it). I know it was dug in the 70s or at least that was the story I got from the guy I bought them off of. I have no reason to doubt his story since most of the bottles I got from him were from the 1880's so I took it for granted this one was too.

Most everything I did get was hinge mold and sheared lip. I also got a few bitters (one nice lady leg), colored soda's and pepper sauces. Most of these were 1880's era. As for the Gowans I still can't see the G but I will take your word for it as you guys know way more about that kind of stuff then I do. Also interesting you mentioned Agee, my dad was telling me about him when I found this bottle wasnt an ink, and how he use to trade with him through the years.

Thanks again for the info, you learn something new every day. Growing up around bottles I am learning how much I let slide past me and how little I know when it comes to everything out there. Got a long way to go from being like my dad, who can spot a bottle from a 10 ft away and tell me what it is before I can even pick it up, but I'll get there in time but will never know it all.

It will look good in the window of the new house. I'm starting to keep a few amethyst early bottles to put in the window so the girl friend will have her own little collection since she tolerates my Pepsi's.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau