Cute Bottle ~ How old is it? Help appreciated :)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DigRobDig

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum and I look forward to sharing and contributing with everyone. I recently came across this neat little bottle while metal detecting on an old home site which was built in the 1700's! The home was inhabited up until about 1900. The bottle was found in a little honey hole about 8-10" deep with some revolutionary war era buckles, some bits of glass, various broken brass scraps of the era. It appears this was a small & shallow trash pit near the house.

I sure could use your help on this one. I'm curious if anyone on this forum will kindly chime in with your opinion on the type of bottle, it's age, and/or what it would've been used for? Also, I'd love to know if it's possibly from the 1700's.

~ appears to be mold blown?
~ very unevenly shaped and warpy
~ has seem around entire bottle
~ bubbles & pitted surface
~ measures about 1 & 3/8" tall x about 13/16" wide at bottom seam

tinybottle1.jpg

tinybottle3.jpg

tinybottle2.jpg

tinybottle4.jpg

I appreciate any advice and opinions on this! Thanks so much!
Rob :)

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hi'ya Rob,

Welcome to the A-BN & thanks for bringing this cute little guy.

If you wash it with soap & water, and then photograph it in natural light, we may be able to see it's details better.

It does not appear to be anywhere close to 18th Century to me.

It may be a traveling ink or a small medication. Are there any hints of former contents residue?

classifieds-921-0-89860800-1347714810_thumb.jpg

DigRobDig

Reaction score
Hi surfaceone,

thanks! I appreciate your reply. Well, I wasn't sure if I should remove the dirt from it or not. I guess it won't hurt, right?
I'll clean it up and post more photos if that will help.

I'm new to bottle digging and collecting. Curious if you think this bottle is from the 1800's then? I'm curious what tells you this wouldn't be from the late 1700's?

Thanks again!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Rob,

It won't hurt to clean it up. We may be able to see the details with some clarity, if you do.

The seams, and what appears to be a smooth base, indicate to me that its probably latter half of the 19th Century.

Here's an excellent Bottle Site, that you might peruse for some terminology, and bottle morphology.

morphology.jpg

DigRobDig

Reaction score
Ok, here's pics of my little bottle all cleaned up and shot in natural light. Hope this helps! I was thinking it would date from late 1700's to late 1800's but would love to know for sure.
What do you think a tiny bottle like this would've been used for? Would it have had a cork top?

Thanks so much for all your help :)

Rob

tinybottleclean.jpg

ORIGINAL: DigRobDig

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum and I look forward to sharing and contributing with everyone. I recently came across this neat little bottle while metal detecting on an old home site which was built in the 1700's! The home was inhabited up until about 1900. The bottle was found in a little honey hole about 8-10" deep with some revolutionary war era buckles, some bits of glass, various broken brass scraps of the era. It appears this was a small & shallow trash pit near the house.

I sure could use your help on this one. I'm curious if anyone on this forum will kindly chime in with your opinion on the type of bottle, it's age, and/or what it would've been used for? Also, I'd love to know if it's possibly from the 1700's.

~ appears to be mold blown?
~ very unevenly shaped and warpy
~ has seem around entire bottle
~ bubbles & pitted surface
~ measures about 1 & 3/8" tall x about 13/16" wide at bottom seam

tinybottle1.jpg

tinybottle3.jpg

tinybottle2.jpg

tinybottle4.jpg

I appreciate any advice and opinions on this! Thanks so much!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

It does not appear to be anywhere close to 18th Century to me.

It may be a traveling ink or a small medication.

I agree...

DigRobDig

Reaction score
1800's certainly makes sense and traveling ink or medicine bottle sounds great. Thanks so much! :)

Would it have had a cork top?

DigRobDig

Reaction score
Thanks! :)

Also, thank you very much for the link to that bottle site.

KentOhio

Reaction score
Based on the seam across the base I would date it to the 1860s, and I agree, traveling ink or small ointment/cosmetic.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1