Date my inks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Here are five Carter's inkwells. The three on the right are stamped 1897 (from the Chicago World's Fair of that year).

Hello Michael,

I think you'll find that the Chicago World's Fair - Columbian Exposition was 1893.

Chicago%2Bworlds%2Bfair.jpg

I've wondered about those Carter's 1897 Cones. Was the 1897 the date, the mould number, the number of a particular kind of ink. I don't know for sure. Who do?

1_83403a10a780686f66bf8b551e64a22e.jpg

|MDB|

Reaction score
Hi, surfaceone. Sorry for the delay in replying. As it is, I stand corrected. Apparently the expo of that year in that city was merely an 'Irish expo', at least from what I gather. I had been told it was a world expo. As to the inks, there were four in the set, the one I am missing is a cobalt one.

As to faulty information from well-meaning friends, one of my inkwells was a snail, I was told, and this week I read in one of my books of a banana inkwell made in the 1800s and I realise now that mine is likely a banana and not a snail. It is marked Patented 1876. I guess I should use Google more often.

glass man

Reaction score
Also the "purplish" one is that color cause it was in the sun at least at one time or maybe you found it in very shallow water where the sun got to it. Before 1915 certain menerals in clear glass would make the bottles turn purple in the sun. JAMIE

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: glass man

Also the "purplish" one is that color cause it was in the sun at least at one time or maybe you found it in very shallow water where the sun got to it. Before 1915 certain menerals in clear glass would make the bottles turn purple in the sun. JAMIE
Manganese was the mineral that turned glass purple in sunlight, and the automatic bottle machine was first mnfd in 1907, by the owens company, but as was mentioned before machine made bottles date from 1907 all the way to the mid twenties, as all glasshouses couldnt or wouldnt buy the machines.......

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin