Dating / appraising unopened wine bottles discovered in prohibition cabinet!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

adamadams

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to this page and need help in dating / appraising some unopened wine bottles I recently inherited. Fun backstory: these bottles were discovered in a secret prohibition cabinet above our fireplace. We had no idea it existed! There's a couple dates visible, but the rest seem older and have no dates visible. The brands are Christian Brothers, Ernest & Julio Gallo, Blanchard, Lancers, Schloss Biebrich, and others.

I've attached photos of the bottles in question. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Click here for to see the Discovery video! We started documenting our renovation when we found the compartment. It's fun times. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7243.jpg
    IMG_7243.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7251.jpg
    IMG_7251.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7259.jpg
    IMG_7259.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7261.jpg
    IMG_7261.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 88

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately I don't think this is really the place to get info on wine appraisals. The value in that case comes from the contents rather than the bottles, which by themselves aren't really valuable. Date-wise they look like they're mostly from the 1970s or 80s (the Christian Brothers could be from the 60s but looks like it's been opened so I doubt it's drinkable). I don't think you can use the date codes on the bases (if there are any) to date wine since you can't be sure the bottle was made the same year as the wine and the value changes so much from year to year.

SPC

Reaction score
Hi. I would call a good auctioneer. I do not know about these makes but I have seen old whine in bottles sell for very high prices. sometimes thousands per bottle. I would do a little research on the auctioneer first though. You want to get one that Knows about wine.. Try googling auctioneer that sells wine. Try close by first & Then further away. Good luck, Stephen. P.S. make sure you keep the wine bottles lying down on their side so it keeps the cork's moist. I hope they were lying on their side when you found them. If not they may be no good. Tell the auctioneer if they were lying down when you found them.

Semar

Reaction score
I doubt that an auctioneer would accept them to put in auction; they're just too new. :(

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I doubt that an auctioneer would accept them to put in auction; they're just too new. :(
Not if it was high-end wine they aren't, fifty year old high-end wine can be worth a lot of money. Unfortunately in this case it doesn't look like they're high-end wine at all though, so chances are they've turned into vinegar at this point.

hemihampton

Reaction score
This guy hasn't been in here since the day he posted that Question. I hate when people ask Questions & looking for answers, But never return to see if anybody answered. a waste of our time. Piss's me off. LEON.

BottleSiteMember.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown