Detecting finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Detecting here in KY has been good for spendable coins. Local soccer complex has given up more than $70 so far. Many tokens, nascar, chuckecheese, and many others. A 50L Italian coin, 5 pfennig German coin, 1920 buffalo nickle, 1943-p silver war nickle, and a jar full of marbles of all sorts much from ft Knox area.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice finds, and marbles are always fun to collect. Strangely, I've never dug a war nickel. Gotten several in change but haven't managed to detect one. How do they ring-up on your machine?

MIdigger

Reaction score
Hey Plumb, back in MI now. The war nickel I forgot where it rang in. My MTX-Pro is down and needs some repair. Interestingly enough, my girlfriend put that nickel in her coin album this morning (Dansco album). Then just a few minutes ago I stopped at the local bank. THE look on my face mustve startled the teller. I always look at the tellers coin racks. I looked to the right and I see she has a large amount of half dollars....BUT 3 are shinning like a sore thumb---SILVER--- I said Id like to purchase those 3 coins, and did so. Trying not to show my glee. Now I didn't really examine them other than to know they were 90% and Id make some $$ even if they were junk Kennedys. Also, it wasn't to be---They were Franklins!! 1948-D, 1963-D, and a 1962. So that was my find for the day. I found so many coins and tokens in KY, and the marbles the G/F liked so she has jars of them.I had to use the Ace-350 and the BH-505. My brother didn't use the BH 505 or the QD-2 and gave those back to me, so I have those with the other machines now. Plan on updating more gear and stuff too. Sorry I haven't been able to communicate much with my computer down, and not being able to get to the library. Hope everyone is doing well, and we can get a new detecting thread (this one going again). Anyone know why the old one was locked? I did hit the reservoir the other day but we came back with little, a few coins (maybe couple bucks worth) and a few pieces of scrap. Plus a few larger tear drop sinkers. I miss that park down there in KY that place always gave up some quarters every time I went out. Not to mention Kennedys, and the 5 (yes 5) Sac dollar coins I found on the soccer fields. Also found a large 2nd Armored division medal there and many assorted tokens. Hoping to do a few flea markets if the weather co-operates. Got a lot of extra stuff laying around I need to get rid of.---Rich

Plumbata

Reaction score
Great job on scoring the silver from the bank! Last time I managed anything from my branch was a single 1967 40%, not the most ideal kind of silver but I'll take it. I believe that the new forum structure automatically locks threads which haven't been active for over a month (because of annoying necro-posting on 7 year old threads and whatnot), so it was nothing specific to the content. Perhaps our benevolent overlord can override the status on the MDing thread? I went out collecting herbs and seeds yesterday, and had my detector with me to check out a small area nearby where there used to be a flagpole and small garden area (probably from immediately after WW2). 1st 2 signals were bottle caps, but the 3rd was a 1941 mercury dime! Spent another 20 minutes finishing the area and only got a small handful of copper lincolns. Man I love digging mercs. Also relevant i guess is that while poking around the freshly eroded/washed junky banks of a creek dump recently, I decided to look specifically for coins. Sure enough, after just a few minutes, I spotted a good-sized dark disc. Turned out to be a 1946 Washington quarter. Tarnished to hell but no complaints! And while digging my 20s dump, over the past 3 weeks or so I found a 12 gram monogrammed sterling napkin ring, a 4.5 gram sterling handle to a small mirror or magnifying glass or something fancy like that, and a very excellent 40.3 gram spoon, made from Coin Silver I believe, from a Chicago company that was around from 1864-1867, and which had a "B" monogram on the front of the handle while the back was engraved with "Johnny Jany 1st/68". So I guess it was a New Years 1868 gift to someone. Cool to think that it was 60 years old already when tossed. Also got a 1910s (super corroded) wheatie out of the dump, which was the first coin I've spotted in there. I'm positive I've missed plenty of other coins, but what can ya do. Take care Rich, and HH!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Went bottle digging in the 20s dump yesterday and eyeballed 3 more pieces of Sterling silver, total weight being 35.4 grams. Corroded to hell but silver is always fun to find! Oughta be posting the recent digs in the digging and finding forum soon. Hope you're staying warm up there.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Whelp, I found my first gold while digging for bottles! A 1.75 gram 20 Karat ring with what looks like an early Art Deco (or late Art Nouveau) design. Amazing that I spotted it before shoveling it away. Missing the stone, but I won't shake a stick at 55 bucks in scrap gold! Got me some nice glass too, heh. Good luck and HH!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Dunno why I keep posting here but whatever, heh. Dug a nice 20 gram sterling spoon yesterday, and saw no silver plated copper alloy pieces of flatware in the dig. Also re-discovered a gold-filled mechanical pencil I dug and misplaced last week. Lots of the copper alloy stuff inside completely disintegrated, leaving behind the rather thick gold foil. I'll play with it and see if i can peel off the gold and determine weight.

Plumbata

Reaction score
I just posted a thread in Digging and Finding, thanks for the interest Bert!

cryptic

Reaction score
Plumbata - I never expect to find anything like I did that year. A 153 pound specimen of silver is hard to come by. It was a good year for detecting this year. Here is a picture of one of the best finds for the year. It is a 60 pound specimen with a large vein of native silver in calcite. I estimate the vein may weigh close to 30 pounds. The snow has arrived here and the ground is frozen so the F75 detector has retired for the season. https://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/InsaneTundra/IMAG1038.jpghttps://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/InsaneTundra/0367d424-5c4b-48f8-b361-e122faf5b7fa.jpgShort video here..http://vid307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/InsaneTundra/P1020237.mp4 I believe what is underneath the calcite and silver may be acanthite. Keep on digging! Cryptic.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks