Did some digging at the river dump....With.."The Badger"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
RE: Dug a nice Green Ricin (poison) at lunch today..

Gunth,it doesn't really say what specific thing they used it for?Unless I missed someting,I prob did.

bostaurus

Reaction score

I wonder if there was some way of treating it to remove most of the ricin?

GuntherHess

Reaction score

I think it was called Ricin more in name than in substance. My guess is it was just flavored castor oil.

bostaurus

Reaction score

Never mind...I just checked Wikipedia again...The ricin is removed by cold pressing and filtering the oil. Lists a huge number of uses for the oil.
Still don't know what they would use ricin for other than poisoning things. Interesting puzzle..what a great hobby.

Oldtimer

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: Oldtimer

Wow, that's funny....I JUST got done researching the most lethal poisons on Google...I had my interest piqued when I read an article about Ebola on the site SCIENCE DAILY.
My search told me that Polonium (The stuff the Russian spy died from in England) is about the nastiest stuff on the planet....
ONE GRAM of it will completely vaporize @ room temprature, and is enough to kill 1,500,000 (1.5 million) people..the terror implications are staggering

Nice bottle though!

Now theres some scary facts! keep that stuff away from BIN L [:(] wow
where is this suff? and who has it?
The Russians. Tell me THAT isn't fu$%*ing scary. The Iranians are right in bed with the Russians...

From Wiki:

Occurrence and production
Polonium is a very rare element in nature because of the short half-life of all its isotopes. It is found in uranium ores at about 100 micrograms per metric ton (1 part in 1010), which is approximately 0.2% of the abundance of radium. The amounts in the Earth's crust are not harmful. Polonium has been found in tobacco smoke from tobacco leaves grown with phosphate fertilizers.
Neutron capture
Synthesis by (n,γ) reaction
In 1934 an experiment showed that when natural 209Bi is bombarded with neutrons, 210Bi is created, which then decays to 210Po via β decay. The final purification is done pyrochemically followed by liquid-liquid extraction techniques. Polonium may now be made in milligram amounts in this procedure which uses high neutron fluxes found in nuclear reactors. Only about 100 grams are produced each year, practically all of it in Russia, making polonium exceedingly rare.

Proton capture
Synthesis by (p,n) and (p,2n) reactions
It has been found that the longer-lived isotopes of polonium can be formed by proton bombardment of bismuth using a cyclotron. Other more neutron rich isotopes can be formed by the irradiation of platinum with carbon nuclei.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

I think it was called Ricin more in name than in substance. My guess is it was just flavored castor oil flavored with ricin hell! lol

Naaaaa come on now Gunth! that would take all the fun out of it.I say it was used to kill bad people of the 19th century [8D] yessirree

BE256B44B06A4F0CABB96F7CE08B9D62.jpg

Attachments

• BE256B44B06A4F0CABB96F7CE08B9D62.jpg
    BE256B44B06A4F0CABB96F7CE08B9D62.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 54

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: glass man

WOW NEEDED THAT RICK DIG FIX!!! LOVE THAT DANG GREEN BOTTLE!!! HEY MY BIRTHDAY IS SOON![OCTOBER] SURE WOULD MAKE A GREAT GIFT!![:D] LOVE YOU SICK RICK!![:D] JAMIE

Lol I may send you a bottle,but not that dang green one [:D]

Jim

Reaction score

Nice pair of Ricins, Rick. The larger size is tougher to find.

One of my poison books shows a labeled example of the Nesbitt Ricin bottle. It was, indeed, castor oil. Why they chose to label the product with the name of the deadly poison derived from the same plant, I have no idea.

So, the contents of these bottles was harmless castor oil. However, the fact that they are embossed "Ricin", along with the emerald green color, puts them into the poison bottle category for collectors. Technically, they are medicine bottles, but I'm not going to argue with Rudy Kuhn! They are great-looking bottles, even if they never killed anyone/anything [:D]. ~Jim

DJFALLS

Reaction score

Wasn't ricin in Rice Krispies? No wait a minute that was niacin. LOL.[:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960