Diggin' in S.F.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shauntos

Reaction score
Anyone diggin' in San Francisco? I was digging a large tree stump out of my yard in the city and decided to keep digging. My house is over a hundred years ago so the lot has a lot of history. In the 4 foot by 4 foot hole I dug I came up with about 20 or so bottles intact. Just to name a few: Piso's cure(emerald green), Hire's rootbeer extract, Lea & Perrins(worcestershire suce), Higgins ink well, Mason fruit jar, small Owl Drug co. bottles, Fletcher's Castoria, Big Bear(soda bottle???), Vaseline bottle, unmarked opium bottles. As for the broken bottles I found a 6 1/2'' cobalt blue Owl Drug co. Poison bottle, Shiloh's cure and a Wright & Taylor Whiskey bottle. I just hope whoever buried them was addicted to all these quack medicines they were taking!

Shaun

Plumbata

Reaction score
Whoah, that is a nice haul and not that deep either, you are probably right on top of an old outhouse pit or 1906 garbage hole, and should definately keep digging down until you stop seeing shards or debris. The best stuff is deepest, if you didn't already seek it out.

shauntos

Reaction score
Thanks Plum. I dug down about 4 feet and hit a solid layer of clay, do you think under that layer of clay is the goods? I need someone who lives in S.F. to help me dig,lol. Most of my friends laugh when I tell them I'm digging up my yard!

caldigs

Reaction score
Im in SF, what part of the city is your house in ?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles