Digging Newbie

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

macandkatina

Reaction score
Can anyone give some words of advice on how to find a place to dig and go out and actually do it? I have always wanted to try it, but have the slightest idea on how to get started....Thanks for any help!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Howdy!

What tools, equipment, and attire do you have ready for deployment? Where is your sphere of operation? What is your local history and geography?

deenodean

Reaction score
Welcome Newbie...ask a senior about where there were old farms or homes that have been abandoned for years...100 year old sites are the best...be careful though, bottle digging is addictive... : }

macandkatina

Reaction score
I know the bottle collecting can be....I am from South Georgia/North Florida.
I have a lot of tools....Not sure about the resources. I have probably 75 bottles/jars/etc. in my personal collection and would love to find some on my own and become more knowledgeable about what I have.

madman

Reaction score
hey guys search along rivers, woods , backyards, construction sites, you will find old bottles dont forget the creeks!

macandkatina

Reaction score
Thanks! That is a really good idea! Hopefully I will get lucky! Thanks so much for the help!

T D

Reaction score
Welcome, Newbie. If you are in south Georgia, you are probably in more sandy soil, but you will still need a shovel and something to "scratch" with. Up here in north Georgia, we dig mostly in more clay so a pick is a must especially when you've been without rain as long as we have. Home Depot or Lowes have several different types of hand "forks" to scratch with. What I have learned is that with only those tools I ended up tunnelling rather than digging downward. I use a short handled flat tined fork with the outside two tines ground off. I can use this well enough unless I'm in a really tight spot. Make your hole big enough to where you can work in it.

If you live in a small town, look for creeks in the bad side of town, dead end roads, or near old manufacturing sites. It is amazing how much glass is dumped in creeks. We have several gullies that were used to dump in. Out in the rural county, there are old homesteads that will have trash in ditches, gullies, or any low spot in the ground. People try to fill up holes with trash. We dig two dumps in two small towns that are on the back side of cemeteries. Like someone already said, check with older folks and ask where people used to dump years ago. Check with city water department employees. They dig all the time- all over town. Hang around when they are tearing down an old building, digging new footings, clearing/grading a lot, etc.

Learn the history of your town. Use the library, Sanborn Maps (google UGA Sanborn), and remember that folks generally didn't haul glass very far. That's my game- I'm from a small town.

I'm sure it is slightly different in cities, I'll let someone else answer that. I've collected bottles for over 35 years, but have only been digging for the last few. Wish I'd started 30 years earlier- it is definitely addictive.

Oh yeah, get permission[8D][8D][8D]

macandkatina

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I am going to give it try and let everyone know the outcome. I live in a smaller town also.

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Get in touch w/ me and we will find some sites. I know a couple of good prospect sites but don't have anyone to search w/ and I'm not going by myself, lol. Chances are I live 15mins from you. . .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson