Digging partner in Eastern Iowa

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RHach

Reaction score
I have been digging alone off and on for all my life (i'm 35). I have a 1900's dump I have dug at since I was 10, and I just discovered ruins of some 130+ year old houses in the woods. I would like to get into privy digging as well....Please contact me!

RHach

Reaction score
Anyone out there around Iowa wanting to dig this spring? I can't believe no response! Iowa has alot of good digging!

RHach

Reaction score
Sounds great! Sorry for the late reply. My dad passed away and I haven't got the chance to check this earlier.... Anyway I have a 1900-1910 dump I have been digging at since I was a kid, and have found some much older sites to dig at. I am putting together a dig once it warms up. I might go down to southern Iowa and check out some sites as well. My previous job I traveled in that area.....Keokuk/Fort Madison are VERY old and great places to look. That area was settled in 1820's and it is right across the Mississippi from Navoo, IL where the Mormans started out. I was told by locals down there that in the early 1800's the Navoo area was rival in population to Chicago....what all this means is lots of sites to dig at. I am in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area. I have only have dug dumps, but I am getting into Privy digging, and with the sites I have found I am hoping to tap into the 1880's down to the 1840's era. Let me know when you can get together!

bunchesofbottles

Reaction score
RHach and jhelton still around?

I'm in Quincy,Il from the sound of it you both know where that is?

payton

Reaction score
i am in the mason city area of iowa. anyone around me? i have never dug anything but it sounds like lots of fun. im going to be a senior in high school so i will be busy after mid August.

Payton

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to Hannibal, not new to digging (40+ years) and been knocking 'em dead in Quincy up til frozen ground time. Am looking for someone to dig/search with, also have numerous cisturn permiss. lined up for springtime. Should prove interesting...Been finding blob sodas, pontiled meds, and assorted weird stuff. From out west coast, so most of my digging has been in the 1890's era. Great to dig some pontiled stuff!!! (Found my first scroll flask in Quincy Dec. 8th.) Drop a line. Will post some pics of some unknown (to me) bottles. cannibalfromhannibal

payton

Reaction score
cann where are you located at? are you in Iowa?

Payton

RHach

Reaction score
Wow! It has been a while since I have been on! Sorry for the delay! I will make a better effort to get on more often! I am still out here, looking for a good digging partner! I have gone back to an old 1880-1900's dump this past summer. I haven't dug there for almost 20 yrs, but still left there with quite a few bottles, and one crock jug with "Beck & Bro Pottery" stamped into it! Also, some old coins as well! I dug up a small old cast iron pig. It was so rusted it more or less looked like a chunk of iron ore. I took it home and tried to clean it, and it just fell apart...but out came a bunch of mid to late 1800's coins! Mainly large cents, a few nickels and one dime! I didn't expect that!

I have been trying to get into privy digging, with not much success. I went out to some early 1840's homestead ruins in the woods with my 9 yr old son. We found a couple of nice bottles, but I have no idea where to find the privy. I did locate a limestone circle behind one of the ruins, but it looks like it could have been an old well. I don't know! It would be nice to dig with someone who I could "share the wealth" of this site, which consists of about 5 to 6 homestead sites. Hannibal and Quincy would be fun to dig,....I don't object to it. I feel like a nomad out here in Iowa...All these old sites to dig, and no one interested to dig them! It drives me nuts to see all the diggers in the NE and East US, but no one out here! In the 1840's Iowa had more population than the entire state of CA, which means lots of stuff to dig!!! Is there anyone out there interested to dig in Eastern Iowa?????? HELP!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology