Digging partner in Eastern Iowa

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hi RHach....see my post from last year....still diggin' NEMO, Quincy/Hannibal but enjoy a little traveling for a good hunt. Sounds like you have some good stompin' grounds there. Drop a line if still interested in a digger...2 shovels are better than one...

RHach

Reaction score
Hello Cannibal! Yes, come spring thaw you are more than welcome to come up here. Have you ever been on a privy dig? I have not...yet! Like I mentioned, I have dug quite a bit in an old 1880's -1900's dump, which has yielded me several hundred bottles through the years. I just went back this summer after two decades and left with quite a bit. When I take you to the old dump, you will NOT leave empty handed. It is very addictive.....you dig one ft down and solid bottles, crocks, etc. Lots of old meds, soda water, everything. Every shovel of dirt you unearth alot. I guess I have taken the dump for granted and now I am craving older bottles than what is there. I really want to dig in this older 1840's site, but I have no experience in privy digs or have any of the proper tools (privy rods, etc.) to locate where the privy would be. I have found couple of bottles at the older site, but clearly by chance. Lets stay in touch for this spring. I am 2 hrs north of Keokuk, Iowa, which is just north of the Quincy area. Let me know! Lets keep in touch. Anyone else is welcome to come as well.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hi Hach, I have dug a good number of old privies, my oldest last year in Quincy going to the 1850's with pontiled stuff...I was teethed on old dump sites though...I have probes and all else needed....Can't wait for the warmer weather...email me at cannibalfromhannibal@gmail.com and I can send some pics from last years diggings. I am about one hr. south of Keokuk, so a half days drive is a piece of cake. Am working on a couple of digs in/around Hannibal for the spring, one an original cabin from the 1830's where pieces of a Benjamin Franklin flask have surfaced. Have high hopes for that one...Take care and hope to dig soon! Cannibal

RHach

Reaction score
Hi Cannibal,

Wow! Digging up a 1850's privy would be nice!!! That my friend is what I want to dig! Nothing against what I have now, but I really am craving older stuff. This site up here I am quite sure has never been dug. The ruins are off in the woods, and I have never seen anyone else ever there. Do you dig with anyone down in your neck of the woods? I will send you an e-mail. Let's plan on the spring. I'm sure we could reap the rewards of this site. I have done some research on the site and there also was a mill in the area, which in the period was a popular place. I took my metal detector out there, but it was going off left and right, picking up square nails. I did dig up an old gun, but it was so rusted away I left it. Thanks for the reply,....looks like we will have some good digging ahead in the spring!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology