Digging pics

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Clam

pic

743F6EB67C374A52972770D2984B6942.jpg

Man-o-man, Greg,

Thanks for the inspirational dig photos! I know there's been stories to go along with some of them, but what's the story on this amazing raft of pottery & stoneware, please...

7E178EDD56D648228FC1ABB0B0A42620.jpg

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Surface, I think I can help out with your question as who, what and what the H*ll about the pottery and heap of stoneware. If I am not mistaken it belongs to one of our digging buddies. His name is Doug and is around 75 yrs old. Been digging since the late 60's. He has amassed an incredible collection. This picture is probably 1/100th of what he has. He has a bottle room that you can only stand at the doorway. The entire floor is covered with bottles standing in rows. Shelves and shelves of bottles. For a bottle collector it is an unbelievable sight. I am not sure if Gregg has more pictures....If he does I am sure he will post them. I think him or someone else posted one a year or two ago. Unlike most of us we seperate and display our bottles in types,age etc. Not him. He just piles them up....unbelievable! Bottle hoarding dosnt even begin to describe what his bottle room looks like. Great guy. Very interesting fellow. Worked for the CIA, Graduated from Duke, parents were professors. He dug during the glory years, the book this guy could write....

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hi'ya John,

Thanks for the deep background on the pottery, and Mr. Doug. Sounds like quite a guy. Is he an A-BN guy?

I'd sure like to see his bottle room...

Yours too, for that matter. Thanks

bottle-cap-room.jpg

Bottle cap room. From.

THE BADGER

Reaction score
AWESOME POST CLAM,GREAT TO SEE ALL THESE PAST DIGS.LIKE JOHN SAID THIS IS THE REAL AMERICAN DIGGERS.LOVED THE PHOTO WITH ALL THAT POTTERY CUPS DISHES ETC.THIS POST SHOULD LET ALL DIGGERS KNOW WHY YOU NEED TO DOCUMENT WITH PICTURES AND VIDEO BECAUSE PICTURES DO TELL THE STORY.I DO A TON OF DIGGIN MYSELF AND YOU TEND TO FORGET THE SPECIFICS OF WHAT HAPPENED ON THESE DIGS BUT WITH PICS AND VIDEO ITS ALL THERE TO VIEW OVER AND OVER.VERY MUCH ENJOYED THIS . BADGER

lexdigger

Reaction score
I remember seeing all these posted here before... or at least Most of them. It's diggers like Chris, Rick, Eddie (Brater) and Mike D that really sparked my interest in Privy Digging. Now, if I just had a town like Baltimore or Philly to dig in!!!
Have always said that I WILL dig one of those DEEP pits up that way one of these days. Heck, I'd even let them keep Everything we dug just for the Experience. Makes our little 4x4x6 foot square woodliners seem like a trash pit. LOL The only pit we ever dug that even comes Close to any of those was behind a Saloon and Hotel on Main St. It was a circular 8 foot wide brickliner that went about 16 feet deep. For a moment... I was on top of the World! LOL
A raise of the Glass Digga's!!!

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hi'ya John,

Yours too, for that matter. Thanks

Dug is a real interesting guy. Chris has been digging with him for years. I have had the pleasure on several occasions to dig with him. The picture as I said dosnt do justice to what his house really looks like. He lives in actually two houses connected that were built I believe in the mid 1800's. He cut a door between them. At one time he had a Antique store in the other house. The remnants of that store and his bottle collection resides there now. In most rooms there is just very small pathways leading thru them. Piles of pottery and rows of bottles everywhere. Over 50 years of digging in that house....incredible!

My collection isnt that impressive, I will post some pics. These first few are not the bottle room itself but some shots of a display case of stuff I have dug. Some of these have been posted before.

E6D4ADC533DA4C359CAB5A826E6AB112.jpg

Attachments

• E6D4ADC533DA4C359CAB5A826E6AB112.jpg
    E6D4ADC533DA4C359CAB5A826E6AB112.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 63

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter