Dr Bonker's Tooth Paste...authentic or not?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
interesting name. Is it too weird to be true?
http://antiquemedicines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36&p=69#p69
What do you think?

glass man

Reaction score
HARD TO TELL GUNTHER MAN,BUT THE BOTTLE LOOKS VERY MINT ENOUGH TO HAVE A LABEL THAT COULD BE AS GOOD AS THIS ONE IS,AS I HAVE FOUND A LOT OF PAPER ITEMS PERFECT OVER LONG PERIODS OF YEARS! I HAVE LONG COLLECTED PAPER ITEMS FROM BOOKS TO WHAT EVER. THE LABEL CERTAINLY HAS THAT "GILT" LOOK THAT WAS SO POPULAR IN THE 1880S OR SO THROUGH 1910 OR SO. AS MARK TWAIN CALLED THOSE YEARS "THE GILDED AGE". GILT ON THE EDGE OF BOOKS AND ON SO MUCH PAPER. THAT IS WHY IT LOOKS AT LEAST THOUGH IT COULD BE GENUINE TO ME. JAMIE HOPE I HAVE USED THE TERMS "GILD" AND "GILT" CORRECTLY.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I think in the strict sense gilt means to be plated or coated in a precious metal. Documents would be illuminated with gold leaf. I guess what that label would be called is "simulated gilt". There is probably a better printing term for it that I am ignorant of.

cc6pack

Reaction score
Gold leaf has been used in printing, and a myriad of other uses for a long time, I have seen it mostly on expensive type items, perfumes, and such.

I could not find anything on a Dr. Bonkers, don't think it's real.

glass man

Reaction score
MY GUT FEELS IT AIN'T REAL EITHER,BUT IT SURE STANDS UP TO 19TH CENTURY STANDARDS AND WHY WOULD A FAKE BE ON THIS LEVEL? AIN'T LIKE MUCH MONEY COULD BE MADE ON A FAKE. OR A LOT OF MONEY IF IT IS REAL. BUT THEN $45 IS A GOOD BIT OF MONEY TO ME. I GOTTA SAY I WOULD NOT TAKE A CHANCE ON IT,BUT STILL... OF COURSE THE PERSON SAYING THAT THEY CANNOT BE SURE THAT THE LABEL AND BOTTLE GO TOGETHER DOES NOT GIVE A LOT OF CONFIDENCE IN IT! REALLY INTERESTING! JAMIE

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Pretty sure the company actually existed , there is and ad from them in this book...
http://books.google.com/books?id=w7GdpGV65kMC&pg=PA20&lpg=PA20&dq=%22bonker+medicine%22&source=bl&ots=6mt_1oMYPY&sig=3wg-AD2NfeyqmBORZUpyqQZ1Z1g&hl=en&ei=QF9JSvIvwaS2B6TvvKoD&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

Supposedly there was a Dr Bonker's Pepsin Stomach Bitters too.

glass man

Reaction score
WELL THAT DR BONKERS EXISTED IS NOT CONCLUSIVE THAT THE BOTTLE IN QUESTION WITH THE LABEL IS REAL,BUT SEEMS A LONG STREATCH ANY ONE WOULD GO TO THE TROUBLE OF MAKING LABELS TO PUT "BONKERS" ON BOTTLES JUST TO MAKE A FEW BUCKS. SINCE BONKERS DID EXIST IT WOULD TAKE SOMEBODY TO KNOW A LOT TO PULL A SMALL TIME SCAM!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
drbonkers-1245720955-4548.jpg

I'm a bit skeptical. The label's edges just look too perfect.

glass man

Reaction score
SEEN A LOT OF PERFECT PAPER THINGS FROM BACK THEN. STILL GOING WITH A BIG "MAYBE" CAUSE OF THE GOLD LETTERING.MAY HELP IF COULD SEE THE LABEL THROUGH THE BACK OF THE BOTTLE,SEEMS THE STIKUM [GLUE]WOULD AT LEAST SHOW SOME AGE.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
THAT DR BONKERS EXISTED IS NOT CONCLUSIVE THAT THE BOTTLE IN QUESTION WITH THE LABEL IS REAL

That is a valid point , I was just adressing the concerns that the company didnt exist.

I dont really think the label is fake but I cant say whether it wasnt purchased and stuck on the bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn