dr crooks wine of tar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madman

Reaction score
heres some dump finds, i wish id find more bottles like these, ino there not worth much but to me there cool ,the simmons regulator is a hell of a bottle, the one on the left says dr crooks[greatname] wine of tar it has a large k on the base any info??

Ec87972.jpg

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey don't sell your bottle's short.[;)] If you go to the AB&GC magazine's web site, you'll find a good article on the good Dr. Crook written by Dr. Richard Cannon. I found it by typing in Dr. Crooks Wine Of Tar in my web search window. Check it out.[:)]
"Oliver Crook, 1818-1873, was useless on his father's farm, but in his teens, he became apprenticed to a physician, and vicariously read almost everything in the doctor's library. Crook practiced medicine in Dayton, Ohio, from 1856 through 1867. Oliver Crook and Company was founded in 1867 as proprietors of Wine Of Tar and Dayton patent safety bridle bit (for horses?) at 239 1/2 Third Street. The Syrup Of Poke Root was advertised as early as 1871, and by then they were at 168-174 Water Street. In 1873, they were at 302-318 W. Water St., and Andrew and William E. Gump, William H. Rouzer and Daniel H. Eichelberger were listed as members of the firm. After Dr. Crook's death, Andrew Gump became president and Wm. E. Gump became secretary and treasurer. In 1875, the business was sold to S.N., Smith and Co., Smith with John D. Park. Park was in the drug business in Cincinnati, and was closely associated with Demas Barns of New York City"
Crook's Wine of Tar was for Consumption, Inflammation of the Lungs, Coughs, Colds, Core Throat and Breast, Bronchitis, Asthma, Croup, Diphtheria, Whooping Cough, Dyspepsia, Liver Complaint, Weak Stomach, Gravel, Diseases of the Kidneys and Bladder, Nervous Debility, Female Irregularities, etc., etc.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Check out this link for base embossing.... http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html K.....................prob. Kearns & Company, Zanesville, OH (1864-1876) and/or Kearns, Herdman & Gorsuch, Zanesville, OH (1876-1886). More recent machine-made bottles or jars with a "K" on the base would be a different maker, perhaps Kerr. Hope this helps.... Taz

madman

Reaction score
hey thanks maine digger and taz for all the info, keep digging and good luck mike

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75