DUTTON'S VEGETABLE DISCOVERY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi cobaltbot, that's wild that you found those bottles in the house. we have a old house also, found some old bottles left in it, but not that old. great pics. your girls are adorable. rhona ps. got a balt. bottle book

madman

Reaction score
hey cobalt, great pix!! cool bottles, that flask is very nice also the herion bottle great finds mike

GuntherHess

Reaction score
From what I have seen of those Dutton bottles , yours appears to be the earlier (and harder to find) version. $20 is probably a good estimate of value.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the words and info, yes its DISCOVERY, don't know where COMPOUND came from but I fixed it and downsized the pictures.

Now here's the bad part and I know I shouldn't get upset but
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!
Woke up this morning and it had a 3/4 inch crack in it from just lying sideways overnight on the window sill. Another 1 and 1/4 inch crack formed while we were out yardsaleing this morning and I am watching this beautiful mint, mint bottle self destruct in front of my eyes. In order that this gruesome experience can be a learning tool I'd like to start some discussion about what I did wrong.

Newbies might not of heard of this happening but I have washed up hundreds of bottles and usually never a problem but I have seen this a handfull of times as I'm sure some of you other diggers have.

1. This is just superstition but I've found whenever you brag on your Mojo or are the slightest bit boastful stuff happens.

2. I thought I washed it out very carefully admiring the thin fragile corners in the base using ambient water but maybe I should have let it soak a couple days. It was not used to being wet so what should that mater.

3. Handled the bottle a lot, kids and wife think I'm wierd about treating them so gingerly but now they know why.

4. Can't believe the temperature differential was anything that would cause cracks, such as cold privy to hot sun, or washing a cold bottle in hot water or vice/versa I don't think that happened.

5. Bottle had high humidity inside from being rinsed so much. Foggy inside to indicate this, maybe I should have dryed it out?

6. Mice were upset I took away their glass table so they beat on it when I was asleep and out of the house.

Oh well, gotta be thankful for all the good times and nice bottles that have'nt done this. One of the things that makes this hobby so cool to me is the fact that any of these 100 -150 year old glass bottles, something so fragile, are around today, still its ironic that one that had no pressure from being buried would do this. Maybe there's another one under the board under the door on the front left..........FAT CHANCE!

capsoda

Reaction score
I never put fresh new finds in the window. Glass that hasn't seen sunlite in many years becomes tender {for lack of a better word} and the sun seems to have a detramental effect on it. A friend who works with things on a molecular level explained it to me in detale I just super simplfied it.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Good words yet this bottle didn't really see much sun, only sat on the windowsill at nighttime and was late out when I was photographing it, Did sit near the monitor for awhile. Maybe something about the physics of being washed and just moving though it did see a little sun.......I know some others of you have thoughts on this, have had this happen to you, please share.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster