Ebay advice. Was it okay?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I don't know why I do it, honestly. You see something on ebay that you disagree with. Like someone says they have the only bottle of this type known to exist (and you have a case at home). Usually I try not to respond or re-act because nothing good will come of it. But this time, I gave advice to an ebay seller. My knowledge of the bottles he is selling is that they are not worth what he is asking. Think I was okay? Here's what I wrote . . .

Hi. Blobbottlebob here. I am a Wisconsin bottle nut. Best of luck on your auctions. Looks like some nice stuff. I just wanted to let you know that both of your hutches from Wisconsin are relatively common and are not likely to sell for the starting prices that you are asking. I suppose, you never know. But my guess is that neither is worth more than 15 or 20 bucks. Doesn't hurt to try but I just wanted to give you a reallistic heads up. Once again, good luck.

dw3000

Reaction score
That's some pretty polite advice. How did they respond?

When I see over-priced stuff, I figure they'll get the message when it doesn't sell; however, I have seen some bottles re-posted over and over again at the same high price. I once saw a bottle re-posted $5 higher than original starting bid. Strangely it sold. That's Ebay for you.

I was watching this ink and the seller got some questions/comments about his starting price and posted them under Questions and Answers. Their opinions/advice were harsher than yours:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190804239601?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks DW. Nothing yet (in terms of a reply). I really was trying to be nice. The guy with the ink shouldn't be posting his Q&As when he calls somebody a clown. Not a good idea to demean your buyers.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm lost. What was the Wisconsin bottle and what did the ink have to do with anything being from the western states? Let alone the other stuff they were selling. The 2 hutches I saw were a Salt Lake city and some town in NM it looked.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
My knowledge of the bottles he is selling is that they are not worth what he is asking.

Not to tip eBay off but this is what comes of a site offering 'free' listings, I'm surprised there aren't 1000 clorox bottle listings for 100-500 dollars start. It just goes with the territory, like all the other wanna-be-e sites out there. hec if it sold I'd be glad to pay 12% final V fee on a bottle that brings 1000% of what its worth, even tip them some, who wouldn't?

That being said, I dont see anything wrong offering some friendly advice or observations to a seller of a listing, Some years I'll get a hundred or more emails from prospective (or not) buyers , Some I take into consideration, some go into the virtual circle file, majority (meaning ALL) of the rude ones make it to the Blocked Bidder list.

Believe it or don't but bogus advice, intentional or otherwise, also gets sent. If an email contains a reference or some sort of info a seller can check out for themselves (ie: a past sale, or a similar item for sale somewhere, a buy it now that hasn't sold, a reference site, ect. ect.) then its alot more likely to get the results the sender intended.

Al

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Cows. I wasn't pointing out the seller at all. DW noted that the seller of an ink (a different seller) was actually posting his Q&As when the questions were not as polite as mine.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I think you're right digger. Lots of high staring prices because there is no cost to doing it. I thought that I could enlighten this seller if he wanted it. If he doesn't, it's fine. I was trying to be informative. BTW he replied thanks for the info.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Giving advice to Ebay sellers is usually a waste of time. Not surprisingly, most think you're prosecuting an agenda to get the bottles they've listed cheaper. Or, in one case I experienced, the seller may presume upon you as a free appraisal agent who's quite happy to give them the goods on a dozen or so other bottles they've listed!

By the way, does anyone remember the seller from Mexico who, a few years ago, listed a "misprinted" modern Coke bottle for well over a year. I think the original starting price was something like a million bucks, and then it dropped in increments down to a still very outrageous hundred grand! I had my Ebay search settings defaulted to "highest price first," so, consequently, this Coke listing was the first item I saw, sitting as it did at the top of the list. It gave me a laugh every time, but I never bothered to email advice to the seller. Came close, though, just because I felt the seller needed to be spared the prolonged embarrassment.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mctaggart67

Giving advice to Ebay sellers is usually a waste of time. Not surprisingly, most think you're prosecuting an agenda to get the bottles they've listed cheaper. Or, in one case I experienced, the seller may presume upon you as a free appraisal agent who's quite happy to give them the goods on a dozen or so other bottles they've listed!
I can't help but be a big mouth who gives his opinion on many things on Ebay, mainly Paterson stuff since I'm the person who buys the majority of it and basically sets the market for it, but also other things I have knowledge of. I have received hundreds of 'thank you' and 'could you please explain why' emails thru Ebay, I've also received my fair share of 'STFU' emails, but the Thank Yous outnumber the STFU 25 to 1. I guess it's all in how you word your messages to the sellers...

frozenmonkeyface

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

ORIGINAL: mctaggart67

I can't help but be a big mouth who gives his opinion on many things on Ebay, mainly Paterson stuff since I'm the person who buys the majority of it and basically sets the market for it, but also other things I have knowledge of. I have received hundreds of 'thank you' and 'could you please explain why' emails thru Ebay, I've also received my fair share of 'STFU' emails, but the Thank Yous outnumber the STFU 25 to 1. I guess it's all in how you word your messages to the sellers...

I can't help but give my opinion on just about everything, not just Ebay. [;)]

Jim, I am sure your advice is appreciated! I know I appreciate it when you help me!

Bob, you seem like a very nice guy and I am glad the seller told you thank you instead of being a jerk about it. You didn't say anything offensive and you were very polite. Well done sir. [:)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn