eBay / Caution

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rraack

Reaction score
I purchased what appeared to be a very nice teal O.P. umbrella ink two weeks ago on eBay. However when I received the bottle I found it had an irregular, transparent coating of some kind applied to the interior, probably to mask some staining. A not so careful buyer might not have caught it, but I inspect bottles I buy very thoroughly. I contacted the seller immediately about the issue and about wanting to return it for a full refund. A couple days later I got an email from the seller stating that they were unaware of the issue and gave me the OK to return it for a refund, which I did. Today I got my bid amount back from the seller through PayPal but lost out on having to eat shipping cost both ways. O well, I suppose it could have been worse. Below is the link to the original listing if your interested in checking it out or to avoid bidding on a possible re-listing of that bottle.

TEAL UNBRELLA 8 SIDED,EMBOSSED ON BASE * S I * PONTIL

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's a good chunk of change. To bad sellers aren;t mare capable of knowing about what they're selling. I try and I'm dam good, but no ones perfect. The one definite mistake I made I offered refund in total and return shipping though. I'd do it again too.

botlenut

Reaction score
Thats good you caught it, and they refunded your bid amount. As a seller on Ebay, I try to list every small detail, no matter how minute, even if its going to cost me some bids. I have only gotten 5 bottles returned out of about a 1000 I have sold. I refunded shipping both ways, cause it was something i missed and failed to mention, and it shouldnt cost the buyer. I know a guy here locally who collects, and if a dug bottle is going to stay in his collection, to make it display better, he coats it in a light film of oil, which will mask stain or haze. I also know of a couple guys that do pro tumbling, that as a final step, will swirl floor polish around inside the bottle, and let it dry upside down, which also will hide any remaining stain they didnt get out. It dries hard and clear, and most people would never know. Now I pass off my bottles to a dealer/tumbler freind 3 states away, cause he doesnt do that. Too bad too, cause the other two guys I mentioned, are 40 minutes away. In my opinion, he should have refunded your shipping costs too. Hope that helps explain the "Transparent Coating" you mentioned.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
They should have refunded your shipping, minimum of one way, both ways if it is their fault. Whenever a seller does that to me, I make sure to leave them ones or twos in their seller rating. If you get a couple of those, you lose all your ebay discounts, it will cost them more in the long run than the few bucks they should have fairly refunded you.

hbgpabottles

Reaction score
Ok...I'm always learning. I noticed on the link to the ink there plain to see was the ad for Ebay buyer protection. How did you lose out on the shipping? That is very troubling to me.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide