Ebay went to free listing...with a catch?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Maybe they started doing this before and I didn't see it.

Also, we know online buyers pay attention to shipping costs when deciding what and where to buy. That's why, to encourage low-cost shipping, Final Value Fees for all sellers will be applied to the total amount of the sale, including shipping. Just keep your shipping costs low to get the lowest overall fees.

That amounts to 45¢ on a $5 box.
No incentive to gouge on shipping anyway. That's a good thing.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
ah, fleabay finds a new way to shake down the small time sellers

do it, its better for you[;)] thats what they always say when they raise fees.
Got to prop up the stock value.

coreya

Reaction score
Screwed again, earnings going down expenses going UP!!!! Must be taking leasons from the government.

baltbottles

Reaction score
You can only wonder what kind of genius comes up with these ideas....... Personally I feel ebay is on such a downward slide I feel there is no hope for return. I used to buy something almost every week on ebay and sold a couple hundred bottles a year. Now I mite buy 10 or 15 things a year and haven't sold on there in over a year.

But on the bright side it looks like attendance at bottle shows and this forum have really picked up. Also it seems more good quality items are showing up at the regular bottle auctions. Over all the demise of ebay I think is good for the bottle hobby.

Chris

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well that pisses me off. They will now start to charge fees on shipping costs too? The people who charge extra in shipping to recoup lost income in the form of fees will just end up charging more for shipping to compensate, right? Am I missing something?

How does this encourage low-cost shipping charges? For those who abuse the system currently, they will just be forced to abuse it even further, correct?

jays emporium

Reaction score
That is correct, Plumbata. I use the ebay shipping calculator to charge for shipping but that is easy to manipulate. Just put in a weight one or two pounds higher than the actual package and that will bump the shipping charge up enough to cover the extra 9% fee on shipping. I don't understand how they think this change would make shipping cheaper. Most sellers, like me, will just raise the shipping cost enough to cover the extra fee. For ebay to get more money somebody has to pay, either the buyer of the seller, and in my case it will end up being the customers.
Just my thoughts on this situation.
Jay

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Years ago I had an internal policy if I couldn't profit $5 I wouldn't bother (except for lists of things I thought were funny). That went up to $10 and I'm wondering if $20 is too little now.
A $5 item with $5 shipping just went up to 18% final value (not including paypal which always did it) and we still have to do all the work. Funny when you think of it. That $9.99 25¢ list for something that weighs 13-16 ounces now cost 45¢. THANK YOU FOR THE FREEBBIE EBAY!
I may start taking stuff to the salvation army and taking the deduction or...
A handling charge will happen now for anything small. The cost of doing business shouldn't include this. Gas, packing supplies etc. was bad enough.
Strange, it sounds like the people SO concerned with scams and fraud are the people perpetrating them now. Yes, I know disclosure technically relieves them of that distinction but this probably does slip under the radar of many sellers for a time.

jays emporium

Reaction score
I sell about 300 - 400 bottles a year on ebay but fortunately that is not my only sales venue. I sell on ebay mostly bottles I don't know much about like local bottles from other states. Those are usually mid-priced bottles and sell in the $10 - $50 range. As long as I don't pay more than $10 for them it works out OK.
I prefer to sell directly to collectors that I know personally and I can do that with many of the Texas bottles that I get. With 40 years experience I have a pretty good idea what those bottles are worth and what some individuals will pay. I would like to sell more at bottle shows but there is currently only one Texas bottle show a year. I sell at some general collectibles shows but bottles are hit and miss there.
I expect to retire from engineering in the next year and then I will be able to attend some other bottle shows that were too far to travel with a 5 day a week job.
Until then I will continue to use ebay as I have in the past. Even with the fees they charge it is cheaper than the consignment auctions and gets worldwide exposure.
Jay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776