embossed balt. beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, another dug bottle. embossed globe brewery, baltimore, md. ,the wehr-hobelmann-gottliebbrewing and malting company. on back this bottle never sold. i read on one site that 2 co. merged in 1901. i was not able to find this exact bottle. num. on bottom hard to read, could be DCG80. help on date and value greatley appreicated. thanks rhona

Yv66176.jpg

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
All I could find on it is it's common[:'(]. Kinda weird, considering how much embossing it has. If they merged in 1901, and it's BIM, I would say it has to be c. 1901-1910 , because by 1910 just about everyone was using crowns.

David E

Reaction score
All I find on mark is a DGCo 1890 to 1910
Diamond glass believe that is from Canada.
Dave

kastoo

Reaction score
I bought a crown top 2 weeks ago at a flea...it's one of those merged companies from your company...it's amber too. It's embossed fancy with a big GBS and Gottlieb BauernSchmidt Strauss Brewing Company. It's also embossed Baltimore. If you ever want to sell yours cheap please let me know.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
RE: embossed balt. beer (in reply to kastoo)

hi kastoo, how much did you pay for flee market bottle? just spent about an hour doing web search. under "the wehr-hobelmann-gottlieb brewing and malting co." 2 sites listed with information. under "u s states list" where pics. of diff. bottles, i saw a couple of ex. of embossed GBS bottles, no dates. under 'CAN OF THE MONTH' good 200 year history of co.. it look like the lip on my bottle was called the balt. loop"? there a possibility this bottle is older than i thought. the glass mark on this bottle is on the bottom instead of the heel. on the site with the history of the co. that in 1899 the globe brewery became the maryland brewing co. and the GBS co. in 1901. very interresting but i'm still not sure of the date of this bottle. thanks for looking and replying any other info. welcomed. rhona

kastoo

Reaction score
RE: embossed balt. beer (in reply to kastoo)

I paid 2 bucks. I emailed a Baltimore digger and he said that was about right for my crown top.

medbottle

Reaction score
Hello. Your beer is a blob, but definitely not a Baltimore loop seal. That style of blob is smaller in size, and has an interior channel where the rubber and metal top was inserted. I should have some more info for you after I check out the Baltimore Beer Book, not to be confused with the Baltimore Bottle Book. [:)]

medbottle

Reaction score
Okay, here's the scoop. The following info is from "Pre-Prohibition Beer Bottles &Breweries of Baltimore Maryland" by Everett and Janice Ford. The Globe Brewery was in business from 1888 until 1920. However, it was bought out by the Maryland Brewing Company, along with sixteen other breweries, in 1899. This large "beer syndicate" failed within a year, but was in turn taken over by the Gottleib-Bauernschmidt-Strauss (G-B-S) in 1900.

Both of these later companies had their own bottles made, so I surmise that your bottle was made before the first buy-out in 1899. The book has a rubbing of your bottle and gives it a range of 1895-1900.

The mark on the bottom of your bottle, according to the book, is D.O.C., and stands for D. O. Cunningham, Pittsburg Pa, which was a bottle maker in business from 1882-1937.

As far as value, I once asked a Baltimore beer collector about "common" blobs in general. He was of the opinion that any common amber blob was worth at least $10-$12, in good shape, clear and aqua slightly less.

I hope this helps.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi medbottle, thanks for all the information and value on my bottle. after the D O C is a # either 30 or 80, is that a date? what determines "common"? i would think if a bottle is common you would see a lot of them for sale, or is it based on the number of bottles produce? thanks for all the help, rhona

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles