English bottles in US dump, age?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

piggler

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. Question on English black glass age and best way to get an accurate date range. I recently was digging in a dump that has a large date range to it (from what I have found 1885-1960s) and came across what lookes like someone tossed out a pile of old bottle they prob found in their barn or something. Consisted of a Maltine mfg, a broken Clarks & White, and a bunch of what looks like English beers. The bulk are 3 piece mold with applied tops, a turn mold that is 20th, and one that is fairly more crude with a sand pontil. Curious how I can assign dates to these as I am not that up to speed on English glass nuances. Any ideas?

Jeff

Attachments

• 4-9-01.jpg
    4-9-01.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 128
  • 4-9-03.jpg
    4-9-03.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 4-9-04.jpg
    4-9-04.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 4-9-06.jpg
    4-9-06.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 4-9-09.jpg
    4-9-09.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 4-9-07.jpg
    4-9-07.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 130

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Most of them look like the typical UK export beers that show up in 1890s-1920s dumps up here, so they're probably from the same era as the Maltine Mfg Co. The older-looking one I'm not sure on, I agree that it's probably a late throw because I don't remember seeing any like that showing up in the typical rural Canadian dumps that are full of the other type.

willong

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. Question on English black glass age and best way to get an accurate date range. I recently was digging in a dump that has a large date range to it (from what I have found 1885-1960s) and came across what lookes like someone tossed out a pile of old bottle they prob found in their barn or something. Consisted of a Maltine mfg, a broken Clarks & White, and a bunch of what looks like English beers. The bulk are 3 piece mold with applied tops, a turn mold that is 20th, and one that is fairly more crude with a sand pontil. Curious how I can assign dates to these as I am not that up to speed on English glass nuances. Any ideas?

Jeff
I've found comparable bottles in 1890's to 1910's context. Have a very similar 3-piece-mold, applied lip, black glass bottle to the one in the middle of your 5-bottle lineup. From the cylinder portion, its slightly convex shoulders describe an almost straight, neckless taper to the small, blob-type lip. It measures 11 inches tall, and I recovered it from a mining camp in southern British Columbia.

Edit: The camp was described in an 1897 mining book.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Try checking out SiFinds on YouTube. He's a mudlarker and bottle diggers in the U.K. and he finds stuff like this rather routinely. Perhaps he can help with some of the more specific brands.

You mentioned you found a broken Clark & White bottle. Is that Clarke & White minerals from Saratoga? Those normally date from 1860 to 1880.

Also note that as a general rule, British manufacturing techniques were normally two decades behind what we had in the U.S. So, if you find a British beer that is pointed, think that it was made 20 years after a U.S. pontil. Again, general rule.

piggler

Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks for the replies, helps give an idea of the age. Thanks Hezezilla for the youtube channel recommendation, and yes the Clarke & White was the small size Saratoga.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp