Ever seen one of these?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

huffmnd

Reaction score
This is a bottle that I recently bought on ebay. The story attached to the listing didn't quite seem to hold water but you never know and I liked the bottle. Does anyone know who made it and what it was for? It is about 3 inches wide and is about 10 inches long in all. Sorry for the pic quality it was the best that I could do for now I am still waiting on the bottle to be shipped.

40F5C70C8D4A4663A5C8FF7766CF4703.jpg

Attachments

• 40F5C70C8D4A4663A5C8FF7766CF4703.jpg
    40F5C70C8D4A4663A5C8FF7766CF4703.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 50

KaBorg

Reaction score
RE: Ever seen one of these? uh huh yup sure have

[8|] Well, there are at least two of them known to mankind - We have one in our posssession as well. Don't remember where it came from but as you said "I liked it" (that was more than enough for me) Let me know if any tells you anymore info about it and what is is really worth and all. Looks to me you got a great find !!! What did you, if I may ask, you pay for this one? where was it from and all - darn this is one very interesting group to be!ong to - finding "antique bottles" was the highlight of my day !!! Keith (North Texas )

bearswede

Reaction score
Mike...

I'm guessing that's a figural powder horn... There's a listing for "Horn" in Kovels' 11th, pressed glass, clear, 8 1/2 inches...$45

That's about all I've found so far...

Ron

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Yes figural powder horn, pretty bottle, I have one that's pre 1900 and many were sold as figurals to put whisky in for a company to use as a promotional item. I've seen local ones from York County PA that were used by the Foust Distillery from Glen Rock PA. Companys would put a small advertising label on these and the cork usually had a label on top as well. $45 is about right,wish mine had the label & cork, I just imagine its from Foust.

Supposedly a poular second use for these bottles was hanging them on a Model T type automobile and putting flowers in them.

KaBorg

Reaction score
Well this is getting better and better - how much value does the original cork add? now I too wish I had the label

Keith in Texas

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I know some held whisky cuz I've seen them with labels. But being they were promotional bottles they probably were used to promote other products as well.

huffmnd

Reaction score
Well I didn't do too bad I gave $43 and change for it, but the cost doesn't really matter it's the finding what you like and enjoying it. I have sold bottles before that did pretty good and I didn't miss them because they didn't appeal to me but they did to someone else.My thing is that I like to learn the history behind the things that I collect and ususally the history will be what compels me to get it or sometimes if it is really odd or unusual.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles