Family Heirlooms

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Toma777

Reaction score
I've been collecting family heirloom antiques I find online. Figuring out the old family business and dates is fun research.

I bought this tiny little one ounce bottle off of eBay, and found the glass maker's mark, which gives the dates of mid 1870s and 1800 for I.C. Co.

Link: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/ILogoTable.pdf

Illinois Glass Co. - https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/IGCo.pdf

What has me puzzled are the dates. My 3rd great grandfather did make remedies before he stated the Haller Proprietary Company with 3 of his brothers. The Haller Proprietary Company officially started in 1888, although I believe his brothers already had their store called The Haller Brothers, in Blair, Nebraska.

My 3rd great-grandfather might have been giving out samples earlier?

There's also the possibility the tiny glass maker's mark actually reads I. G. Co.

The picture of the Haller Brothers store has my two 3rd great grand-uncles standing in front.

Attachments

• THP CO.jpg
    THP CO.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 30
  • I C CO.jpg
    I C CO.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
  • WD-Haller-001.jpg
    WD-Haller-001.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Toma777

Reaction score
So far the only way I can date the antiques I'm finding on eBay are the dates of the company. The Haller Proprietary Company ran from 1888 to 1921. My 3rd great grandfather died in 1918, and his son ran the business for about 2 1/2 years, and then sold it to someone who had been an employee around 1900. The name of the company changed to The Haller Company, dropping "Proprietary", because no Hallers were proprietors of the company anymore.

The Haller Company ran from 1921 to 1938, and closed like many such business because of the creation of the FDA, which mandated testing of all the products.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
According to the SHA article it looks like I.C.Co. was just an engraving error (which makes sense, because why would the Illinois Glass Company use the initials I.C.Co.?) so I think in your case it's just the regular I.G.Co. embossing which is a bit faint because of how small the bottle is. It doesn't really look like an 1870s bottle to me either. I would imagine this is a roughly 1890s-1910s bottle.

Toma777

Reaction score
Thanks. I agree with that.

Unfortunately none of my other full size bottles have any glass maker markings on them.

The little sample bottle is done in the same style as the full size bottles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen