Filled/abandoned well?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mukurogirl

Reaction score
Hi. Sorry that I haven't posted in awhile,but after winter hit it was basically nothing except antique stores for us here in Central PA. I'm in Huntington County which is basically Farm/Hick USA.

Anyways while out on a quick scouting trip with my father we came across this old stone fence,which is actually a cattle fence. The old farmers used to pile up rocks and make huge thick walls out of them. Usually we follow the walls and look for signs of dump piles or foundations along the way. Well we came to the end of the fence and saw this crumbled piece of the wall that looked more like a foundation,but with the fences you can't be sure. Dad spotted a circular pattern of rocks at the edge of the rubble and I went down to dig a test hole

I dug a few inches and pulled out a thick chunk of whitish/yellow clay. I've dug in clay before and it didn't have the texture of this stuff. Clay is usually really loose and slick around here. I would have stopped at that point,but I felt a sort of I dunno..packed texture to the clay. It felt like it had been hardened somehow and it was thicker then the black dirt surrounding it. It was harder to break through with my pick. I spent another fifteen minutes and I found that the looser parts of the packed clay would give way and reveal a peep hole in which I spied more dirt and clay. The outsides of the hole were still lined with black dirt as far down as I went so I suapect it was a man made hole

I've heard about privvies that have been filled with ash and bits of pottery or clay before. The circular hole was lined with rocks and was alot wider then I'd think a privy hole should be,but then again I've never dug a privy before. Could it be an old well of some sort? The thing is...the clay was packed in so tightly that I could have walked right over it and nothing would cave in. None of the ground around the area is like that. I made other test holes. Could it have been a watering hole for the cattle?

glopf43

Reaction score
Hey Mekurogirl, it sounds very interesting. How wide is the hole? Can you post a picture? A round privy could have a diameter of 4~5 feet. You really need to have a "probe" so you could test the area. The soil in a privy would more loosely packed and usually easier to dig than the surronding area. The privy walls would not be above ground level. I think I would dig down the center 3 to 4 feet. If you start to find broken glass, brick, pottery and ash you are likely on a privy. Although wells could also be backfilled like this. Was there a house near by at one time? For more info do a google search for "Privy Digging". 'Eddie's' privy page and 'Scott's' privy page can be helpful. Also this forum has many good people. BottleDigger.net also has some experienced diggers willing to help. NEVER DIG A PRIVY ALONE!! Keep us posted on what you find...

Mukurogirl

Reaction score
The rocks surrounding the hole formed a circle. I could stand in the middle and stretch out my arms,where my wrists were was right above where the rocks surrounded the hole.. We went up to this spot because my father had heard there used to be an old house back in the woods. That's why we followed the stone walls,but it's hard to tell a collapsed stone wall from a foundation around here. Just piles and piles of rocks. It frustrates me. The rock pile nexk to the hole did look alittle like a foundation.

I've never dug a privy,but I've dug in plenty of dumps and I've never come across such a sight before. The clay was lumped thickly together and hardened. I couldn't see any sign of ashes or pottery.Sometimes it fell apart and I could see deeper down. I only dug about 1 foot down before my dad told me to leave it alone incase it really was an old well and I fell in. I don't think I can take a picture unless my mom comes along. She's the one who knows how to work the camera. As it is...I think that will remain a mystery for awhile. Tommorow we're going to a really promising site where an old doctor used to live.

I'm really curious about that. Could it have been an old watering hole for the cattle? Maybe a clay pit? I could just be paranoid...could it be natural? The edges of the hole kept giving me black dirt as far down as I went. It looks too big for a privy. Thanks for the sites. I'll check them out

diggerjeff

Reaction score
sound like a privy or a well. if i found it ,i would just dig it!!!! if you have a probe it will help you feel what is in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday