First Dig of the year

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
This weekend I plan On Digging in a dump I started last year but never got to finish. I will be Camped out there all weekend. Ill have my trusty tools and A digital camera so i can share the pictures of my adventure with you all. just got a new whited metal detector too so i can lay out the perimiter.. Cant wait to test it out. I will post my pic's on this post after the weekend! Whish me luck!!!!!!1

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
Well Here are my my finds from this dump!

Zx70869.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70869.jpg
    Zx70869.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 58

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
Well Not exactly. The dump I went to had been bulldozed into a corner of the feild to make way for a farm road. But the piles of dirt they moved were still there. They were littered with shards of tiny peicies of glass. I couldnt believe it........all that excitment of the first dig for nothing. But me and my digging partner were not going to get discouraged. We dug the piles of dirt left over and got pretty much nothing. we also dug where the dump was and got absolutly nothing. well not nothing...... does sunburn count? How bout aching muscles (been sitting on my A$$ all winter)? We did find a few bottles but nothing intact earlier than the 50's. id even show you pictures of the area but stupid me forgot my camera. But this was only saturday and we had a few other spots in mind for sunday!

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
So Sunday arrives and its a new day. Excited again about digging we went to my parents property where the foundation of an old barn was. the barn had burnt down about 50 years ago and was pretty old at the time. so ifgure what the hey noones been there since my parents owned the property Some 35 years, and i was feeling lucky. we did some test digs and some probing but the only things we found were Charred peices of wood (very tiny peices) and som tin im guessing from the roof. they must have been neat freaks because there was nothing!!!!!!!!! Alas there was one more site to try. My partner used to go in the woods of his grandfathers hous as a kid and he mentioned finding one of the old brick factorys foundation or cellar with a well next to it. now i rember hearing that these things were torn down around the late 20's. so we went to his grand fathers house anfd took a hike. And A Hike it was. It was a goood mile into the woods on top of a very high hill. We didnt even see the foundation before we looked over the side of the hill and saw avery large Dumping area filled with goodies......Broken goodies. Now mind you we both were tired and its getting to be around 2:00 (weve been at it since 9:00) so all we did is a surface look and didnt find any good intact bottles. But the era of the brokens ones was around the 20's im guessing based on the broken Crush bottle we found with a pat date of 1920. now theres trash for about the length of a football field....so we searched and searched. we finnally went to the top and found the foundation and loked around (finding more broken bottles) and another side of this hill with a little more trash but not much, infact the bottle peices we found there seemed to be older, more pontiled ones too so maybe that was the older area where they dumped trash. now I have posted a very cruel paint diagram of the area to give you an idea (remeber i forgot my camera) now mind you each side of the hill is about 100ft down and pretty steep (but not too steep) and the top of the hill is about 100 feet wide. the red areas mark the dumping areas or where stuff was found.

Mk26348.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26348.jpg
    Mk26348.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 74

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
Heres some pictures of some of the broken bottles. also found a pinkhams medicine bottle? I think thats what it said ( it was broken in the embossing). heres a father john med bottle with a Perfume bottle im guessing.

Ge96583.jpg

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
And a picture of a newer vasaline bottle (screw On) but look at that neck in the background. Any one know what bottle that belongs to?

Da83490.jpg

Attachments

• Da83490.jpg
    Da83490.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 60

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
heres something not bottle but something.its about a foot long. any ideas?

Ur51976.jpg

Attachments

• Ur51976.jpg
    Ur51976.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 69

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
Now since the hill is kinda steep do you think it would be best to dig in the side of the hill or at the bottom (cause of wash off)? never dug the side of a hill that steep before.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
I have dug a few steep banks like you describe, I found bottles on the top ,all down the bank, hung up in front of large rocks, trees and recessions . It has been my experience the large bottles will usually break before reaching the bottom! [:mad:] Inks will usually survive though! That large iron piece looks like part of a woodstove to me... Keep us informed the best may be yet to come..... Taz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey