FOHBC join or not?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jays emporium

Reaction score
I was just searching some bottle sites and came across the FOHBC website. I have been aware of the organization for a long time but don't hear much about it. Are any of you members and would you recommend joining? Do they still publish a magazine? Thanks for any input.
Jay

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'm not a member, but I don't see any harm in joining.. at least you get your name on the website, where others can see what you collect.. probably not too many troublemakers there, either, since you have to pay a membership fee! [;)]

westernbittersnut

Reaction score
There are several of us forum members that are members of the Federation of Historical Bottle Collectors. This is a good organization that currently has a membership of just more than 1000 members currently throughout the United States. The organization publishes a bi-monthly magazine called Bottles and Extras. A listing of members, what they collect is published so that you can contact fellow collectors with same or varying interests. The organization puts on an annual Federation bottle show which is usually much larger in size than most regional shows that are put on and they also organize a Bottle Exposition every 4 years which is held geographically in different parts of the US so that all bottle enthusiasts get a chance to attend from their area. It's a great organization for the promoting of this hobby we all enjoy and defiinitely needs to continue to grow and bring in new individuals to help perpetuate this hobby. For without new members this bottle collecting will stagnate and die. Please all those interested in collecting antique bottles please consider becoming a member it is well worthwile.

druggistnut

Reaction score
I am also a member of the FOHBC, and so is the Flint Bottle Club.

Besides the positive points that Westernbitters makes, the Federation sends you a card that reflects you are a member in good standing. I always show that to prospective dig site owners. I have a FOHBC decal in my truck window, too.

The Federation has movies/videos they will send a club, at no cost, for educational purposes. These are great for meeting fillers, but also for bottle shows.

One of the very good benefits of a club membership is the bottle show insurance that is provided for member clubs. You can't possibly touch the coverage, as a non-member club, for the price of the annual club membership fee. Any club running a show without liability coverage is asking for trouble.

One other thought to ponder- in the world today, political clout counts. The larger an organized group becomes, the more they are recognized. In the fight we (as bottle collectors/diggers) face against shrinking "digging rights" and government restrictions on land access for treasure hunting, digging, the FOHBC and other groups like it have an intelligent voice that is heard and respected.

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS