Fossils

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Niko

Reaction score
Found these in a creek when i was scouting for bottles. Anyone know there fossils?

DSCN6478.jpg

[/IMG]

DSCN6479.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN6482.jpg
[/IMG]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Maybe they are fossils, I cant say.
The first one looks like some sort of concretion.
Not sure I would have judged them to be fossils if I saw them on the ground but then I'm not a paleontologist

LC

Reaction score
paleontolog

I myself, love paleontology, I have collected fossils for years, mostly trilobites, Flexicalymene Meeki, as well as the Flexicalymene Retrosa, that are found in my area, all from the Ordivician Period, dating around 400 million years or so old. And of course there is the BIG DOG, the Isotelus Gigas, our state fossil , that grew up to two feet long and larger from the same age. Regretfully, I am not well versed enough to give an opinion on what is being displayed as to what it is. I am wondering though, if possibly a museum in ones area can be contacted by email. If so, a person could possibly send an email with a picture of what they have to the museum, and put attention Paleontology, and might possibly get a response from them with an explanation as to what they have. Yes , I know, Why didn't I check first !!

LC

Reaction score
You crack me up Matt ! What is so boring about your boring old echphora snail ? !!

LC

Reaction score
Matt, There was a Gentleman by the name of Dan Cooper who bought some land about three miles from me, for the sole purpose of collecting trilobites. He would have an area of ground bulldozed off till the Ordovician layer of clay would be exposed. The idea was to try and bring up large pieces of the clay, stand on edge and try to split it down into layers, of course, hoping to find the Isotelus trilobites. The nine inch one shown in the Picture at top was found there by Dan Cooper, I was there along side of him watching him at the time it was uncovered. Parts of this trilobite stuck to both sides of the clay when it was split apart, as well as many small pieces breaking away from the clay and falling on the ground. Mr. Cooper spent quite a while attempting to pick up every little piece that he thought was part of this fossil off the ground where pieces had popped loose from the clay. He then spent hours in reconstructing this fossil back together. I think it is utterly amazing that an individual has the talent to even be able to do thins, I am pretty sure that I could not do so. I had the pleasure of holding this fossil in my hands after it's reconstruction for examination. If I remember right, Dan had to threaten to kill me in order for me to hand it back to him ! I have never had a luck of finding one of these in the prone position, only a few smaller ones enrolled. Will try and post some picks of some I have in the future.

9E8D163A673C45DC99DC28AF53607F76.jpg

Attachments

• 9E8D163A673C45DC99DC28AF53607F76.jpg
    9E8D163A673C45DC99DC28AF53607F76.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 78

muddyfingers

Reaction score
Tallahassee,Fl and Fort Wayne,In just depends
LC that little bugger looks pretty cool. What time frame is it from?
History outside of bottles is most definitely not my thing. Although paleontology does interest me, mostly for the thrill of the dig. Hopefully that opportunity will come some day. Would be a neet experience.

Willy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter