Found this outhouse in the woods

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

solitarycanary

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to dig this hole because the pit follows the 1930 sanitation code. HOWEVER. The old pit next to it had some household trash and ashy soil. I'm imagining that was the pit before they moved it over. And there's another spot my detector found under an old oak tree, not on the creek but still close. It felt soft under my feet and I was surprised to find white and black sand instead of Carolina red clay.

So we have pit 1 under the oak tree
Pit 2 on the creek full of ash and household items
Pit 3 which has the outhouse intact and was probably only kept in case the plumbing went out.

Ideas? I'm an expert in antique glass, I run the forum on reddit for digging
but I have only book knowledge of privys. I've never dug one. I've only dug creeks and dumps. (I'm a 35 year old woman. None of my girlfriends think my hobbies are cool so I'm trying to persuade my husband to go with me!)

Http://reddit.com/r/bottledigging

Attachments

• 7251518a38204074846d0d378676652b.jpg
    7251518a38204074846d0d378676652b.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 83

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
It helps to have a digging partner on a privey of any depth. In fact a partner is really a must. I've found a team of three is the best, but having more hands around helps. You will also need a rope and some buckets at least if the pit goes below your shoulders, and some more advanced tools if it down over 15 feet. I don't know how deep they would have went in your neck of the woods, probably like 10 feet max I'd think, like maybe two old barrels stacked on top of each other in depth. Dig it, sister!

Attachments

• 87a08dc8bed84bd59d9c1c1dfe0ed2cb.jpg
    87a08dc8bed84bd59d9c1c1dfe0ed2cb.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 5bed1b9b0cf14a4dbe93eebba5a0dd1f.jpg
    5bed1b9b0cf14a4dbe93eebba5a0dd1f.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 90

solitarycanary

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I know not to go alone. I'm too scared to attempt something of this magnitude. That is not how I would want to die. In someone's old toilet. (I will say if that did happen I can guarantee they would have to pry any bottles I found from my cold dead hand! Lol)

So do you think I should start with the pit under the oak tree? The older pit?

diggerdirect

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'd safely rule out pit#3, which is most likely just a pipe buried under the seat judging by the dirt floor. The ash pit on the creek bank sounds promising, but could very well be a surface dump or an ash pit (but either will still require digging! [:)]) the essential tool for privys is a probe, metal detectors have their uses but are mostly limited to the surface layer, which usually is just comprised of fill. A probe will determine the rough size, shape & depth. I seen on your site that the house was built in the 20's? Didn't see if this was city/village or a rural site. In any event I would start on the creek bank ash pit, if a privy (even a wood liner) you'll find walls of the undisturbed, natural red clay as you go deeper. As far as the old oak tree, they are a slow growing tree, if site originated in the 20's chances are its not a pit under it, a probe should tell tho. We've dug pits under trees, sidewalks and cement slabs, ect., they require ALOT of work and are not something for the unexperienced at all, do take care. Al

solitarycanary

Reaction score
It's in a rural site in nc. The area has been populated since the revolutionary war, so even if the last recorded structure on the property dates 1920, that doesn't mean much to me. Who knows if there was another structure before? I started scratching the ash pit with my fork and found lots of things, and this weird bracelet. So I don't think I'ts going to be a quick excavation. If there's other good artifacts I want em!! Thanks for the advice. I need to get a probe anyways.

solitarycanary

Reaction score
The ugly bracelet I found.

Attachments

• fe75f941af60400cb5003f2679817494.jpg
    fe75f941af60400cb5003f2679817494.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 74

diggerdirect

Reaction score
I research alot of properties from county deed & tax records which often have alot of useful info pertaining to history of a given property. Old local maps & atlas are usually available for most states showing buildings, occupants, ect. Heres one such site that has potential http://www.historicmapworks.com/Browse/United_States/North+Carolina/ That is a cool looking bracelet, nice find.Al

solitarycanary

Reaction score
I also research property records. My mom is a real estate agent so she has given me tools :) other structures around the area are from the turn of the century. I also like to get ahold of demolition reports. Lists of properties scheduled for demolition. Those are usually good. I can't stress enough to beginners the value of research, this spot I stumbled on while following a creek. The creepy thing about being out there: there was a pack of vultures eating something on the other side of the woods. They were very disturbed by my presence. They kept flapping their wings and flying around every time I moved. I can handle snakes and I'm not allergic to poison ivy but birds freak me out!

botlguy

Reaction score
I live in the woods of Idaho and poke around quite a bit. I always go armed, .357 mostly. I suggest that if you search stream beds that you pack a 9MM, .380 or some such. Doesn't need to be too big but we have Grizzlies up here and moose are downright mean when startled.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause