I'm in need of some help.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jbo0421

Reaction score
Hello, all new to the forum and fairly new to digging. so, the only dump that I've dug so far is one that my brother-in-law told me about and it's the only one he knows as well. With that being said I know it's been asked before is some context but I'm from Buckingham Virginia can anyone show me on a map of some sort where "I should be looking" for a dump site I just can't seem to figure it out any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Jamie

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Check for the old topographical maps on the USGS website. You can find them in a range of dates roughly from 1900 until the present. They show all of the houses and buildings even outside of towns. Find concentrations of houses nearby to gulches, ditches, or rivers that coincide with modern wilderness. You just need to research a list of locations and try hit as many as possible. 80% of the time, you will find nothing but the rest of the time you will for sure find a dump or at least a few oldies.

But, I must say, the most beneficial way to find dumps is to make friends with local diggers. Those guys will know about dozens if not hundreds of sites. In most of these, they probably missed a couple good bottles. Or, if you're lucky, they will invite you to a dig or a scout. A beginner is happy to find anything so I've found that even the "rejects" are still fun.

I myself have found some nice bottles this way. Here's some pictures to inspire you. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 20230813_114204_HDR.jpg
    20230813_114204_HDR.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230729_171709.jpg
    20230729_171709.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230601_093354_01.jpg
    IMG_20230601_093354_01.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230713_151200.jpg
    IMG_20230713_151200.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 67

jbo0421

Reaction score
thanks for the information. I just read some old newspaper articles and put the puzzle together and figured out a town dump BUT the only thing I see no trespassing signs everywhere.

Semar

Reaction score
Ask the landowner for permission?
A rule of thumb I used to use w/old houses was 'out back and down hill' or if there's swampy land or a pond nearby the house or cellar hole.
Can't dig where I'm located; too much federal property; get caught by them and you'll wish you hadn't.

Hezezilla

Reaction score
BUT the only thing I see no trespassing signs everywhere.
Not saying you should do this but in my area (Honolulu), it is very common for people to "snipe" or "ninja" spots on private property. Just about everyone digs on Government Land too. Everyone here is happy to help a friend even if it means bending the rules a bit. A good example is when I dug recently on one of the military reservations on the island. As long as you're digging in some place where nobody cares if there's a hole, I think it's perfectly fine. If you can find the landowner, always ask. But, always remember, it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention though that one should never mess with "NO TRESPASSING" signs. If you get caught in an area with no clear signage, you can get away with playing dumb. But since in your case there are plenny signs put up, It's for sure a no-go unless you get permission.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen