Freaky Bennington with a face

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Bennington marbles are a type of glazed clay marble. They are not very dense. The marbles are fired clay with a salt glaze on them. Benningtons are readily identifiable by both their coloring and the little 'eyes' that they have on them.These are spots where the marbles were touching each other while they were being fired, resulting in those spots being uncolored and unglazed. The term 'bennington' is actually a misnomer. There is no evidence that they were ever made in Bennington, Vermont, or that they have any lineage to the Bennington pottery that they resemble and from which they get their name. It appears that all Bennington marbles were imported from Germany.
Pretty much said exactly thing I was going to say

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Benningtons in this coloration are common. I don't know if a 'face" makes them any rarer, but still they must not be very rare.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
what are the chances that on TWO marbles, the spots are arranged like that?

it seems to me pretty good odds. Take a plate of marbles and make a single layer covering the bottom. Then stack one marble on that layer of marbles. The stacked marble will sit touching at three points. I havent tried it ..I lost all my marbles long ago[;)]. I would guess the contact marks would be similar to yours.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles