Fred J Drexler Co. Louisville, Ky.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

artie128

Reaction score
I found this beer bottle and would like to know more information. On the bottom it reads Pat. FCG Co. 85 in a circle. Quart size 11" tall.
DSC04259.JPG
DSC04260.JPG

RoseOnTheRocks

Reaction score
Great find! I'm liking this website for info so far: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/LouisvilleGlass3_DWhitten.pdf

Page 4 has a paragraph that says: Several “quart” (26 oz.) blob-top beer bottles are embossed “Pat/F.C.G.Co. / 85” on the base, apparently in reference to the 1885 patent for the Baltimore Loop closure patented by William Painter. Nadorff & Bro; Schaefer-Meyer; H. F. Krieger; Fred J. Drexler; and A.& D. Schmitt were Louisville bottlers or brewers who had bottles supplied to them by Falls City.

DavidW

Reaction score
According to the book "Louisville Breweries - A History of the Brewing Industry in Louisville, Kentucky, New Albany and Jeffersonville, Indiana" (1995) by Peter R. Geutig and Conrad B. Selle, on page 275, they write that Fred Drexler, Jr was in business (under that particular name) from 1888 to 1892.

There were several incarnations of the Drexler name in Louisville, and at least 4 embossing variations on those types of blobtop "export beer style" beer bottles. Such as "Drexler, Ihmohr and Company" from 1883-1888, and "Drexler-Krieger Bottling Company" which was the name from 1892-1894.

That book contains a lot of good information, and tons of pics of old beer and ale bottles. Geutig and Selle were bottle diggers back in the 1970s-1980s if I understand this right. That book is very hard to find, but if you run across a copy, grab it!

"F C G CO" (Falls City Glass Company) was in business from around 1884-1892.

Hope this helps!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese