Fruit bottle, any information?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ice

Reaction score
Any information about this bottle would be appreciated. When my mother dropped by I happened to mention finding this forum and she got all excited and asked if I could find out any information or if it's worth anything. I personally don't know anything about it, or how long she has had it, but she claimed they used to deliver these door to door like they did with milk.
It's about 10 inches tall and about 3 and a quarter wide squared.

Fruit1.jpg

Fruit2.jpg

(That odd little double line mark isn't an H, it's just two rectangles inside a square).

fldwlkr

Reaction score
Ice,
My eyes are fading but if that is an I in a diamond its from the Illinois Glass Co./Alton Ill. They used the ABM from 1873-1929. I'd guess it was made in 25 or 26 by the digit to the right of the manufacture mark(again my eyes is that a 5 or a 6?). Probably collectible for anybody into old milk jugs.

fldwlkr

kwalker

Reaction score
You may be thinking of "BIM" for the earlier half of that range. Otherwise known as "Blown in Mould" where the bottle was blown inside of a mould and hand finished. Automatic Bottling Machined weren't made practical until around the 1920s. If there's a city anywhere on the bottle or label it could be worth more or less depending on the town.

If we're all thinking about the same Borden's here (Elsie the Cow anyone?) Then here's some information pulled off of Wikipedia.

"The company was founded by Gail Borden, Jr. in 1857 in Connecticut as "Gail Borden, Jr., and Company." Its primary product was condensed milk. Struggling financially, the company was saved when Jeremiah Milbank, a partner in the wholesale food distributor I. & R. Milbank & Co. and the son-in-law of banker Joseph Lake, agreed to invest and acquired fifty percent of the stock. The company changed its name in 1858 to the New York Condensed Milk Company. The company prospered during the Civil War by selling condensed milk to Union armies."

"The food products division was spun off as Borden Food Corporation when Borden, Inc became a holding company 1929. The holding company reversed itself thirteen years later when it reacquired its child company."

"In the 1950s, the parent company went on a buying spree, swallowing up companies such as Wyler's, which made bouillon and powdered soft drinks; ReaLemon, a manufacturer of synthetic and reconstituted lemon juice; Cracker Jack; Campfire brand marshmallows; Wise Foods, a makers of potato chips and other snack foods; and Bama, makers of jellies and jams."

Bordens.jpg

I would say your bottle dates from the late 1930s to as late as the late 50s [:)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It may not be that Borden. The label should give more info if it was but I really don't know what they do in the great white North. The mark looks like a D diamond for Dominion and the top looks like a later foil cap, about 1960-70. That doesn't rule out a local dairy and home delivery, it still very likely. I don't think the Borden Food Co. though.
It looks like what we got with a fill up of gas back in the day. Oh those days of about 30¢ gallon!

surfaceone

Reaction score
she claimed they used to deliver these door to door like they did with milk.

Hey Ice,

Welcome, and is that a scanner picture? Give it a certain industrial look, IMO.

You ought'a listen to your mother.

horse.jpg
From.

Ice

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: fldwlkr
My eyes are fading but if that is an I

is that a 5 or a 6?
fldwlkr
Sorry, I should of said, I think its a little "o" inside the diamond. It's actually harder for me to see it even when looking directly at it then when it has been scanned. The number is a 5.

ORIGINAL: surfaceone
Yeah it is, sorry about that, my camera is horrible.

I'm not even sure if we have/had the Borden's with Elsie the Cow here. This is the first I've heard of it.

Thank you everyone for the response and information. [:)]

dmagave

Reaction score
i remember delivered milk AND the fruit drink.not sure if we got borden's.sealtest maybe.i think it all makes sense except the date.'25 seems early to me too,but that's opinion.probably 'the' borden's though in a milk container.

dragonchardra

Reaction score
It could be a D in a diamond. That would make it from Dominion Glass Company . The D in a diamond mark was reportedly first used in 1928 if that helps. If it is an O in a diamond then I don't know if it would be from Owens company. They reportedly used an O in a square.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

she claimed they used to deliver these door to door like they did with milk.

Hey Ice,

You ought'a listen to your mother.

horse.jpg
From.
I have a nice local milk go with Surf...

302101845_o.jpg

302101874_o.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause