Ginger Ale Bottles wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IRISH

Reaction score
Hey GAC,
Have you seen this crown cap before ? it belongs to a friend of mine, I noticed it sitting in Robins bottle display with quite a few lemonade caps from around Victoria and NSW.
He has a spare one too apparently [;)] , send me a PM if you want one.

Nl30672.jpg

Attachments

• Nl30672.jpg
    Nl30672.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 85

IRISH

Reaction score
Cooma is in New South Wales. I have no idea how old it is nor anything about the company that used these caps but it's a nice mint one.
Cork inside, it has never been used.

Tr50169.jpg

Attachments

• Tr50169.jpg
    Tr50169.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 77

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Irish,

Yes I think I have that crown cap- thanks. And for all you folks not from down under, most of the Aussie crown caps have the words "Preservative added" as do many of the soda bottles. I'm assuming that is by regulation . . . here's an Aussie ACL from Tooth & Company, Sydney. The crown cap has the blue bow on it as well-

Us54591.gif

Attachments

• Us54591.gif
    Us54591.gif
    56.6 KB · Views: 85

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
Man you guys are lucky. I only have 2 ginger ale bottles. A Vernors ACL from 1961 and a 10's-20's quart Vernors in poor shape. I'm jealous!!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Ginger Ale Collector,

I noticed in one of your posts you mentioned a Dr Brown's brand Ginger ale from about 1866.
I posted this photo of a teal, iron pontilled bottle that a friend wanted me to find info on. It is embossed Dr Brown, NY and most said it was a mineral water bottle. The 1866 date you mentioned would be about right for an iron pontil so just wondered if this might actually be one of Dr Browns ginger ale bottles. It was found at my friends old house in MA. Thanks.

Cliff

Jh14956.jpg

Attachments

• Jh14956.jpg
    Jh14956.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 80

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hi Cliff,

Hard to say exactly what that bottle had in it. I'll have to ask some of my NYC soda experts what they think, but the history of one Dr. Brown in New York goes like this: In 1869, (a little later than Vernor's 1866) a Dr. Brown treated the children of immigrants on Manhattan’s Lower East Side and created a soft drink he called Dr. Brown’s Cel-Ray Tonic. The beverage, which was made from seltzer, celery seeds, and sugar, was sold in delicatessens and is still made today. Dr. Brown also did ginger ale, cream soda, and fruit flavors later on. Now it is possible that there could have been more than one Dr. Brown, and perhaps even earlier. I have a stoneware bottle debossed Dr. Brown's Ginger Pop and based on the look of it, could be from the late 1840s when Ginger Pop was around. It could be the same Brown and maybe not. I will say that your friend's beautiful bottle might have had ginger ale in it at one time as most soda bottlers were trying to copy the Irish ginger ales, but a strong possibility is mineral water. Let me get a note off to some folks who have more facts on Dr. Brown bottles than I do. It is a great bottle and certainly worth a lot if it is in the pristine condition that it looks in the picture. More when I get a chance.

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Here are the pair of Dr. Brown's I have- but they are probably 100+ years apart. You'll see Since 1869 on the paper label, but the stoneware piece cold be 1850s or even much earlier. The stoneware says "Ginger Pop" which was noted to be around in the 1840s. Different than ginger ale proper though.

Wu60469.gif

Attachments

• Wu60469.gif
    Wu60469.gif
    127.7 KB · Views: 95

BARQS19

Reaction score
Hi I just saw where you were collecting these. I just listed on on ebay though before I saw this post. if you want to check it out here is the item number and title RARE WOLVERINE GINGER ALE BOTTLE DETROIT, MICHIGAN MI (6201458787)
thanks,
Robert
BARQS19

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the tip- I do have that Wolverine- great bottle- very atttractive embossing. I see you are in Mississippi- I thought for a minute and wondered if I had a ginger ale bottle from your state- and after checking my list- I don't! Do you know of any? Thanks.

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi GAC,
Do you have a 13 ounce crown seal with "F. DANIELS / DROUIN" in a shield and "GINGER ALE" below that ? there is a bit more text in the shield but I can't remember what. The Daniels crown seal is fairly common without the extra text but until I saw one in a collection last week I can't remember one with ginger ale on it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1