Glass Color Change

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hj

Reaction score
Hi all.

Did some more digging in the 30s dump in town. I don't find anything particularly old there but I always find something interesting.

A few weeks ago I dug up an old depression glass spice shaker. It was manufactured by the Jeannette Glass Co. in Jeanette, Pa. The glass is commonly known as Jadite. Odd to find whole.

This trip I dug another identically shaped shaker, this one was white. I brought it home and soaked it, and when I took it out of the soak I noticed that it had the faintest hint of blue in it. After twelve hours it was as blue as the picture shows, which could hardly be mistaken for white.

Question is, was it light or temperature that changed the color so dramatically? What gives this opaque glass its color?

I also found a sugar bowl that was marked Lipton Tea on the base, and dug the undamaged lid ten minutes later. Also a metal Pennsylvania car registration tag from 1943. It was fun.

Till next time,

hj

A97F9F7223AF4033810AB2D6882EFFD7.jpg

Attachments

• A97F9F7223AF4033810AB2D6882EFFD7.jpg
    A97F9F7223AF4033810AB2D6882EFFD7.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 50

coboltmoon

Reaction score
What gives this opaque glass its color?

Some milk glass is made with bone ash. I sure there other ways to get the color. I would not be surprised if your green piece has uranium in it. If you have a black light you can test it. If it glows with a black light there is uranium in it.

KentOhio

Reaction score
I don't know why it would have looked white at first. You're sure it wasn't just different lighting that made it look different? That's delphite and it's supposed to be that blue color.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
These containers appear to me to be deliberately colored.. a little sprinkle of this, a dash of that, and you got a nice new shade..

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl