glass top jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cb0023

Reaction score
any info and value?? thanks

Ro41707.jpg

Attachments

• Ro41707.jpg
    Ro41707.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 101

cb0023

Reaction score
hi thanks for the reply. here is a pic of the bottom. also this jar has a nice purple tint to it, does that mean anything?

Zx71462.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Manganese was an oxide used in glass before about 1915 I believe. This was to make the glass clear. When exposed to the sun for an extended period of time, the radiation will turn the glass a light shade of purple. Different shades of purple will depend on how much manganese was used. This purpling effect is know as SCA or Sun Colored Amethyst. Some collectors prefer sca and others do not. Just a matter of personal preference I guess. Hope this helps, Kelley

cb0023

Reaction score
thanks for your help guys. i have more jars and will need your help again. thanks

bne74honda

Reaction score
OMG! Holy S..t, Gee Whizzzz!!! Here I've been collecting bottles for a number of years..just here and there but have quite a few now, some even of value. BUT, around 1988 I rented a 90 year old farm house and found well over 30 old jars in the cellar [:)]. I knew they were old and probably worth 5 or 10 bucks each (at best!) but now I see this Crown sittin here and people sayin' it's worth $40!?!? [8|]Crikies...I have several of those and many older, larger, aqua.....Ball, Crown...etc. Methinks I'd better have a closer look at them. I had them out at my yard sale this summer for 2 bucks each!! [&:]

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Okay, here's my 2 cents again.... I've found that collectors in the US don't seem to get too excited about Crown jars unless it's an unusual and/or intense color. I think there are Canadian collectors who get into all the variations (different shapes of crowns, different number of dots, etc.), and they are much like Ball collectors in the States, collecting variations the rest of us wouldn't look at twice. There are many smooth lip clear & aqua Crown jars that won't bring you more than a couple of bucks. To me, $40-$50 for this jar seems a bit optimistic - more like $25-$30 for this ground lip nice sca jar. -Tammy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson