Glenshaw Glass Coding- I'm stumped on this one!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
tsalz14 said:
Bob

Thanks for your help. That's what I thought at first, but the bubble at the base is out. Doesn't this mean that it is 1950 or earlier?
squirtbob is right in that the W is for 1951. As for the "outie" registering lug, my initial response is the "outies" came before "innies," but just when and how much earlier the "outies" were used, I don't know yet. If Owens Illinois invented the "innies," which the 1952 ad seems to suggest because of its use of the word "new," then I'd say the crossover was in 1952 .. at least on Owens-Illinois bottles. With Glenshaw bottles the dates of use could be different. Its also possible that innies and outies were used at the same time. Probably the only way to know for sure is to examine a bunch of dated bottle from various makers..

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is from a 1952 Glass Packer magazine and should confirm that Owens-Illinois did develop/invent the ... "Dimple Lug" (I will post the link next because it's so long it messes up the text on this one)

OWENS-ILLINOIS DEVELOPS DIMPLE LUG FOR ACL BOTTLES. A new round-type flush or "dimple" registering lug for application of applied color labels on beverage bottles has been developed by Owens-Illinois Glass Company.

Attachments

• c2c1ba28afd1423b9759078cc73abb66.jpg
    c2c1ba28afd1423b9759078cc73abb66.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 81

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
"Outie" = 1951 or earlier "Innie" = 1952 or later

tsalz14

Reaction score
Ahh! Thanks so much for your research, SPB!!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I just came on to this threaded posting. I also read my posting and explanation of sometime back. Thatcher Glass always refereed to them as spotter bars. They were put in the heal of the mold to make the indented motch that would be caught with a pin on the decorating mahine to locate one part application over the other where it was supposed to be. IN the Central Mold department we made them from drill rod for a long time. After I got into them, we made them from investment castings of HR-30 nickel alloy, which held up longer and solve a lot of problems. I did this work on a lot of the mold equipment - starting with the tip portion of the blow and blow plunger tips - in a cast iron base. I spent a good 15 or so years traveling the world - to sell this alloy. It was a fascinating life and it involved many countries and a skidilion of miles of travel. I attended glass making conferences and covered the world except for the orient - where the language barrier scared me away from it. In later years John Dameron has spent time over in that area. I don't hear much about it since I retired. RED Matthews

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960