Got Gas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

probe buster

Reaction score
So last Sunday started off with an early morning meeting with a landlord on a house property for a permission dig. The day was gloomy with intermittent rain, but who cares, my digging partner and I were ready to make some dirt fly...but little did we know just how that dirt would fly.

Within 15 minutes of probing my partner hit a jammed hole near the rear property line. A test pit revealed the dreaded screwtops at the one foot level. He looks over at me as I'm probing the side line and asks, "Wadaya think, should I fill it?" I ask, "How deep does it probe?" He reaches over and grabs the probe as I'm walking toward him, slides it into the pit and within two seconds a volcano of dirt blasts him in the face. Simultaneously we both smell that oh too familiar odor filling the air as the dirt and dust billows several feet above the rear six foot fence. Yep, it was a gas line that was fed from the rear alley!

The landlord is around the other side of the house seeking shelter from the rain. She reveals pure panic as we both rush toward her explaining that there's a serious problem. As we explain the situation she seems to actually calm down. The first words out of her mouth were, "Oh my God, by the look on your faces I thought you found a dead body or something!" She then grabs for her cell phone and calls 911. Within 10 minutes a fire truck rolls up with a crew of four and secures the area. A guy from So Cal Gas Company pulls up 10 minutes later and calls in for a repair crew, who happen to be at home on call. We sheepishly provide our contact information and move on to our next permission site, figuring we had probably worn out our welcome here.

Now the unwelcoming suspense lingers as we await the repair bill. Maybe we should just bend over now in preparation for the pain! My partner is now one up on me: he now has two gas line notches on his probe; I have one (in 20+ years of digging). Anyone out there have him beat? [:)]

cc6pack

Reaction score
Not sure but you're probably responsible for the repair.

I think most states have a telephone number for locating under ground utilites, warter, gas, power, phone, cable. The owner of the property is responsible for calling before you dig. Normally this is for the homeowner doing repairs, planting, etc. A contractor also can do this ( hint hint)I'd try it if there are utilites you may hit. There are rules to follow call one of your utilites to find out what they are.

I know this sounds like witchcraft but you can locate water and gas lines with a divining rod. Next time I run into one of the forum members I'll prove it. Jamie (glassman), Matt (georgiavol).

capsoda

Reaction score
Sounds like they use some pitiful pipe for gas out there. You would have to be working at it pretty hard to rupture the steel casement that gas lines run through down here.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Utility companies don't normally charge homeowners for repairs of this nature. I know, having over 30 yrs in that business. Plastic gas lines are thick enough that it takes some effort to penetrate them. Your buddy must me a slam prober. I'll bet that he breaks a lot of bottles, too. Give him a short lesson on easing the probe into the pit. LOL

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Usually, the utilities such as gas should be at least 3' deep, but once they get near buildings the lines seem to be more shallow. Most of the lines branching out in my town are only 3/4" or 7/8" thick (yellow) and flexible rubber-like material. A main line is usually cast iron if old and can be quite powerful. Luckily the probe did not produce any spark. I have busted main telephone lines: $1500 and water lines $250 after negotiations; in your situation, it's not as if you were intentionally digging and needed to call miss utility or something; I call it an accident. You might be off the hook if you play "gosh I'm sorry". Also, if less than 3' it might be their problem. Only my opinion, and good luck.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I have been part of two busted gas lines ( that I know of ) and both times,neither the homeowner or myself had to pay.Both times it was due to old rusty iron lines that hadn't been replaced yet.One broke at a solder joint.Digging in the sticks,sucks!Far less utilities in the backyards in larger cities.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Divining rods and dowsing don't work[:D] but if you give me a couple of bent coat hangers & 2 coke bottles I'll find you pipes,wells,cisterns,and maybe a privy or two.

probe buster

Reaction score
The fire department said no charge, thank goodness. The gas company will probably charge us something, based on the fact that my buddy's first gas line piercing was in the same city 3-4 years ago. He was charged around $300 for that one. Funny, he didn't get the bill for nearly one year later.

I was watching him when he hit the thing and he wasn't bearing down on the probe, but he was using a pointed tip probe, rather than one of our ball tipped ones. The gas guy figured we probably hit a decayed iron pipe that was recently sleeved with plastic. Guess we should have stuck around to see exactly what the verdict was.

Believe me, I'll be scoping out gas meter locations on alley homes from now on. Generally the lines run in a straight line from the alley to the meter, which was the case with this one. Also, when in doubt, only ball tipped probes will come off the truck!

Oh yeah, even though he insists it's his fault, I'm picking up half the tab...digging partners are brothers to the bone!

Dwayne

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology