Got some! (pontils that is)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wolffbp

Reaction score
NICE finds Mark! Glad you got out and did some quality digging. I haven't been finding nice old stuff lately...Super Jealous.

#1twin

Reaction score
That EAGLE is one super bottle. Thanks for sharing it with us. Marvin

CazDigger

Reaction score
Thanks! The owner got really interested when he saw what we were finding. He (and his 3 young boys) were hovering over the pit the whole time. He was screaming at them constantly to "get away!, put the tools down!, stop knocking dirt back into the pit!, etc." They were a real pain. They even followed us around the block as we tried another property. The guy's dad actually owns the house and was pissed when he heard we were digging there, but the guy tried to tell him how cool it was. The dad owns about 20 properties and would be a great permission to get, but he wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe we can work on him for next time. I have another permission in that neighborhood and can't wait to get back. I am so used to getting skunked on dipped pits, it was treat to have one full of trash.The weird thing was the trash was on top of lots of rocks, some the size of 5 gallon buckets. We kept digging the pit out expecting trash underneath, but it turned out to be a waste of time, we already had everything. Usually the bottles are smashed under the rocks!
Mark

appliedlips

Reaction score
Great stuff Mark! The banded bowl is very nice as are the bottles. Good luck on the next one.

stonebottle

Reaction score
Great finds. The stoneware and the two iron pontils look very early. Could you put up a good picture of the Carpenter stoneware bottle? There was a Carpenter from Connecticut but I do not know of one from NY. Was this dug in the Syracuse/Utica area?? It would be cool to know what part of the state it was found in to try to put a name/date to it. Thanks. stonebottle

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi Stone, My buddy Gary got the bottle in the pick, so it may be a while before I can get a photo. I tried to blow up the photo and it looks like it may be Campbell not Carpenter (I guess my memory is going) I can't see what if any first initial is there. It was dug in Fulton NY

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR