Great Day in the Dump...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whitefish

Reaction score
Hi Dan,
That C.W Abbott's is a Bitters, a common one, but still a Bitters.
Your example seems a nice lighter shade of amber than most I've seen.
Love the crude lip on your Warner's.
Nice finds all together.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Thanks, I have never found a whole bitters. I would still like to find one with the word Bitters embossed on it though. The color is better than pictured. Here's another shot with natural light. It's got some great whittle too. The spot in the glass is a potstone but it hasn't radiated.
ORIGINAL: whitefish

Hi Dan,
That C.W Abbott's is a Bitters, a common one, but still a Bitters.
Your example seems a nice lighter shade of amber than most I've seen.
Love the crude lip on your Warner's.
Nice finds all together.

F938045E7AF84FCD8A4AAC056AF227DA.jpg

whitefish

Reaction score
Yes that's a nice shade, and it looks to be a earlier example, drippy lip on that one as well.
Nice !

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Looks like a great day and great finds too!Great to look at others finds,almost as good as finding them yourself ,thanks for posting them !

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hi Dan,
What a great dig you had! Kudos!
I have a question....I found three generations of Cornelius W Abbott's in Baltimore. The first and second generation Cornelius' occupation was listed as "Chemist" the third generation Cornelius, in the 1930 census is listed as "Proprietor" and "Flavoring Extracts". Your bottle is way to big for extracts, I assume but would a chemist be a producer of bitters? I'm not very knowledgable but I thought bitters was medicinal and would expect it to be produced by a pharmacist. Can you help?
Thanks and regards,

Stardust

Reaction score
lucky you! nice finds for a nice member. [;)]

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
Cornelius W Abbott's in Baltimore
Marjorie, What I Googled was that CW Abbott started his Bitters business in 1876 at the age of 21. He was know to have produced bitters with the best ingredients. He built a substantial business including an export trade. I don't show him as being a chemist but maybe he would have to be a chemist to know how to manufacture the bitters. Bitters was medicinal but also contained a high content of alcohol and was used as a stimulant. One might have said "No, I'm not drinking alcohol, I'm taking medicine," or something like that. The date of my dump is around 1890 so this bottle fits right in with what I read. Thanks for the kudos and bringing this subject to light.
ORIGINAL: marjorie040

Hi Dan,
What a great dig you had! Kudos!
I have a question....I found three generations of Cornelius W Abbott's in Baltimore. The first and second generation Cornelius' occupation was listed as "Chemist" the third generation Cornelius, in the 1930 census is listed as "Proprietor" and "Flavoring Extracts". Your bottle is way to big for extracts, I assume but would a chemist be a producer of bitters? I'm not very knowledgable but I thought bitters was medicinal and would expect it to be produced by a pharmacist. Can you help?
Thanks and regards,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85