Green New England Style Half Pint

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Here's a flask I recently picked up with the idea of reselling it. but I don't know if that's gonna happen now. It's got the typical Eastern seam side shape, but in a very untypical color, and super crude to boot. You can see in the pictures that it is super whittled, like a lot of these flasks are, but the lip on it is the crudest I have ever seen. It appears to be blown in a hinge mold too, but I'm not 100% sure about that. The "mold seam" in the middle is a bit bold and I wondered if it was cut into the mold? Either way, it sure looks nice in the window!

It's the little fella in the middle of the group
flask012.jpg

flask001-2.jpg

Here you can see the color and whittle. Very nice[:D]
flask002-2.jpg

flask003.jpg

flask006.jpg

flask004.jpg

The base. What do you think? Hinge mold, or part of the mold?
flask005.jpg

Here's the lip, and I'll get to what I think is the coolest part of it and what makes it one of the crudest I've ever seen. First of all is the great drippiness of it and the uneven glass distribution.
flask007.jpg

flask008.jpg

Here is my favorite feature. It's a little hade to make out in the pictures, but if you look you can see where the neck of the flask was sheered off of the blow rod and the kinda just worked into the lip. It is still sharp and jagged. The glass distribution is so lopsided that the one side of the neck didn't ever get covered over, then it just got tooled into the lip. Very cool in my opinion. It makes it very clear to see the method of manufacture, like a bisected model almost.
flask009.jpg

flask010.jpg

flask011.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi CanYaDigit Aron; I think that little flask is tremendous. I like the sloppy glass under the finish and the top of the tooled finish sure has some strange hack marks on it. The picture of the bottom looks like it could have been made in a bottom hinged mold. From the picture I cant be sure, but if it was one half of the centering plug would have a rougher seam than the side that didn't come apart. I think the lower half circle is a little rougher than the top one. The bar mark is obviously a makers mark, that identified the bottle-makers shop that produced the bottle..
I need to point out that the cast iron mold was not whittled. People still use this term - and have for a hundred years, so we can't change some vocabulary expressions that have been used in early books and still used today.
.Thanks for showing your bottles to us. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583