Green Soda Bottle 1920

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Vanishingradish

Reaction score
Hello! I’m researching a historical novel set in the American southwest in the year 1920. A character in the book will hopefully be able to reference a green soda bottle. Does anyone know if there were any commercially available green soda bottles in the American southwest in 1920?

I looked through 1920 newspaper ads in Arizona and found ads for Coca Cola, White Rock and Orange Crush. Coca Cola had a light green twinge to the bottle but not a vivid green. I’ve ruled out White Rock per a conversation in a collector’s group on Facebook. Their bottles were mostly clear from 1918 through 1925 when they switched to green bottles. I’ve found some green ribbed Orange Crush bottles online that were around at some point pre-1930, but I’m not sure if they were available in 1920.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Hello! I’m researching a historical novel set in the American southwest in the year 1920. A character in the book will hopefully be able to reference a green soda bottle. Does anyone know if there were any commercially available green soda bottles in the American southwest in 1920?

I looked through 1920 newspaper ads in Arizona and found ads for Coca Cola, White Rock and Orange Crush. Coca Cola had a light green twinge to the bottle but not a vivid green. I’ve ruled out White Rock per a conversation in a collector’s group on Facebook. Their bottles were mostly clear from 1918 through 1925 when they switched to green bottles. I’ve found some green ribbed Orange Crush bottles online that were around at some point pre-1930, but I’m not sure if they were available in 1920.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Probably nothing too embossed. I find colored crowntops from the 1920’s in one area I go to. They have no marking at all. No manufactures mark or even a mold mark. I like to collect the odd colored ones. Here are two green colored bottles. Used during prohibition it’s hard to tell what they really contained. I realize I’m in the northeast but I’m sure you had similar bottles.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• IMG_1324.jpeg
    IMG_1324.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 33

Semar

Reaction score
This guy might be able to help you.

Vanishingradish

Reaction score
This guy might be able to help you.
Thank you! Going to send him a message!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Altes Beer came in a unembossed green Bottle starting in 1910 through out the 1930's. The pre pro's can be identified by the T.B. Co. on bottom of Bottle for Tivoli Brewing Co. Leon.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
If you're going for perfect historical accuracy, another thing to keep in mind is that in 1920 most soda was bottled by local companies, and the bottles wouldn't travel far from the town they were sold in. The flavours would have been fairly consistent from town to town, but the bottlers and the bottles would be completely different. National brands were still in their infancy at that point, and apart from Coca Cola most weren't using standardized bottle designs. And yeah like others have said there wasn't much in the way of bright green soda bottles being used in the US in 1920, although they would start to be more common within a few years. Your best bet is to just write a fictional soda company, because bright green isn't totally implausible, it just didn't happen to be used in that area (as far as I know, anyway). We had some bright green soda bottles in Canada at that point, and there were probably some here or there in the northeastern US.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen