H. Tonjes - New York

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ffursbit

Reaction score
A friend's son recently trawled this bottle. It is embossed "H. TONJES/48 HORATIO ST. NY./XXX GINGER ALE/1879" with a Trade Mark of the entwined letters "HT"

Obviously in this condition (plus small lip chip) value is negligible, but he would be interested in learning some more about the company who used it. As I am in the UK it is difficult for me to obtain any information myself, but I am hoping that some of the US collectors might be able to help??

tonjes.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I found this Codd online:
Tonjes, Henry, & Company
53317AA Embossed: (1) HENRY TONJES & CO. / 334 EAST 31ST ST / NEW YORK // THCo (monogram) / REGISTERED //
Bottle: Glass, Codd Bottle, 2 leaf, dimensions not known
Notes: Details are not known. The "ST" in "31ST" are raised.
1. Aqua, Smooth Base, Long Tapered Collar, Codd Glass Ball Stopper, Hand Blown, Circ: 1880-90

Buisnesses moved a lot so I'd bet this was his address too at one time.

Here's the link http://www.worldlynx.net/sodasandbeers/coddlist.htm for American Codd Stopper Bottles

ffursbit

Reaction score
Many thanks to you both, and apologies for the long delay in posting this reply (busy time of year at work for me over the Christmas period so have not been online very often).

I did manage to find Henry Tonjes on the 1880 census. He was born in Germany in c. 1852.

Again, many thanks.

Keith.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler