H.W. Reid Soda Water Bottle - Parry Sound Ontario

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
found this bottle online a couple weeks ago , mail moved slower than normal but it finally got here . kind of from my local area , an older 20's / 30's era soda from Parry Sound Ontario . any local bottle from this town seems to be hard to find even the ones from the 50's or 60's aren't around much I find . although there was several other bottlers from there back then but I never seem to come across any of them ever

Parry Sound is a small town on Georgian Bay , which had a busy harbour and railway at the time . it used to have more of a small seaside feel years ago , it seems different now that the highway is 4 laned there . not as isolated as it used to be .

don't know a lot about this bottler other than that he operated from 20's to early 30's in Parry Sound and went by " Henry W Reid " .

embossed on the bottle " H.W. Reid , Soda Water Manufacturer , Parry Sound Ontario "

HWreid-parrysound.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the bottle does have a small chip at the very top but its such a hard one to find , i couldn't really see that as a reason not to acquire it as price was fairly reasonable

I never hear of anyone ever finding any Parry Sound bottles , do know of 1 local collector from there who has some .

there also used to be a local diving group there , a couple years ago they were busy cleaning out the harbour of things , were finding old tires and bikes . I recall specifically asking them if they had found any Parry Sound bottles but they said no although they had found other bottles during there cleanups and not sure if there still active or if they found anything else since then but they might of just been finding the modern junk on the surface

i also have a picture of one of his old bottle caps , says " Henry W Reid 6 1/2 oz , jersey creme colored , Parry Sound "

reid-parrysoundJC.jpg

Last edited:

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Well written, great post on this rare bottle. Love that cap, nice to see one, that old , that's not crusty with rust.

BillHaddo

Reaction score
Nice find even with the chip ,the only bottle I have found from that area is a much more recent acl (Cormack 's) that you posted a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

RCO

Reaction score
Nice find even with the chip ,the only bottle I have found from that area is a much more recent acl (Cormack 's) that you posted a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

its hard to believe but I've never found a cormacks bottle in the wild yet , only found part of one swimming a couple years ago , not sure why its hard to find , have one that I bought at a summer market a couple years ago .

also a bottler in Parry Sound in the 50's called " sprunts beverages / ginger ale " I have one of there bottles that I found years ago at a now closed store in Huntsville but never found one of there bottles in the wild either

yet to even find part of a broken piece of any pre 1940 Parry Sound bottles , but never dug any dumps in that town and never swim in that harbour area but been to parry sound many times before

RCO

Reaction score
also bottles from Parry Sound for " Logan and Reid " there from the 1910's to early 20's and look very similar to the one I found

says aerated water manufacturer Parry Sound , it seems the bottler was originally a partnership between Logan and Reid but by the mid 20's Henry Reid was running it by himself

don't have and can't seem to find a picture of the 6 1/2 oz bottle so assume its fairly rare , is a picture online of a 30 oz one

logan&reidParrysound.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger