Half moon repair on bottom

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Can someone post this ebay listing for me? 150519330933. Red Mathews would certainly love this one..

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Interesting bottle. Pretty sure that could not be a repair as it is right across the mold seam.
Appears to be some glass that caught in the mold then they opened it and continued blowing the bottle.

!B8h9R6!EGk~$(KGrHqR,!igEzNvSe,jtBM3U5IuPjw~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150519330933&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D150519330933%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Thanks for posting it Matt.As far as the reason they did it, I honestly don`t know.I`ve heard this called a repair before and know that it has sparked some debate.I know Red will have an opinion on it.I have never seen this done on the base of a bottle.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
You can see the glass was pinched in the mold then they rotated it about 180 degs before continuing the blow. Done on a fairly uncommon bottle.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello to all of you. I really appreciate the thoughts of my interest. This is a fantastic example of a half-leaf that could not have caused by a welded repair procedure. At this point in time I have several examples of the repairs and more to go see. This is the second evidence bottle that shows a mark example that could not have come from welding. Thanks for alerting me to this one. Thinking of the shape of this bottle, the only source of a pinch of glass like this would have had to been created on the parison forming mold. And
I am not sure they used one at this time.
RED Matthews

westernbittersnut

Reaction score
This unique anomlie has already been explained. First off this mark is NOT caused by any repair nor should it be referred to as a repair. It is very easily understood if you are familar with the glassblowers operation of making a bottle.

This feature is a result of the glassblower getting the exterior surface of the expanded bulb of hot glass pinched between the two mold halves as they close. When opened quickly to release the gather of glass from its confinement the mold is closed again and the fold of thin glass is pressed against its exterior as it expands against the molds interior walls. This feature can occur anywhere on the exterior surface of a bottle. They are fun to find and just confirm that the glassblower is not perfect in his profession all the time.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: westernbittersnut

This unique anomlie has already been explained. It is very easily understood if you are familar with the glassblowers operation of making a bottle.

Warren,..I'm pretty sure Red is familier with glassblowing operations considering his background and experience...[:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
!B8h9R6!EGk~$(KGrHqR,!igEzNvSe,jtBM3U5IuPjw~~_3.JPG

Who's complaining about what here?? This is a fantastic formation, I would LOVE to have one like this!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Can you post a few examples Red and or Warren. I still don't see it. What I see is a piece of glass that got stuck to the base of the mold and picked up from the next blow or a piece of unmeleted fragment stuck in the gather. It looks about 45-60 degree offset and covers the hinge mold in that area yet let some gather go around it. I'm just trying to follow the raised outline of the suspected piece and the rim trying to get around it. The jagged part at the bottom confuses me also. Not that that's hard to do.
I realize how unlikely a blower could have missed something that obvious unless there was a big rush on quantity and that's why Im asking. I also know there is nothing but holding it that can really show the detail.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Here's a pinch on the side of an otherwise well made IP sody..

D24FE7FE1F59467F9E7269BAB4BA110F.jpg

Attachments

• D24FE7FE1F59467F9E7269BAB4BA110F.jpg
    D24FE7FE1F59467F9E7269BAB4BA110F.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member