Hamilton bottle, Schweppe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nickbrett

Reaction score
From new member Duke, in Fremantle, Western Australia.
Yesterday while on a building site, I unearthed a Bottle I now (thanks to this site) know as a Hamilton or Torpedo bottle. The bottle is green glass, 17.5cm in length and 5.5cm in width. There is a seam running right around the bottle that finishes just below the neck, which I beleive may be 'blob' style. Printed along the length of the bottle from neck to base, in a script style lettering, that curves around the bottle, is "J.Schweppe Co Ld." The base of the bottle is pointed and has no pontil mark. Any information regarding this bottle would be appreciated. Cheers.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Welcome Nick,
Sounds like have an 1890's blobtop hamilton all right.Schweppe's is still in business and their early bottles are common.(have you tried searching 'Schweppe's' on this site yet?) However,coloured hamiltons are quite rare.When you say yours is green do you mean a dark forest green,emerald green or olive green; or a very light blue-green that is only really noticible where the glass is thickest?If it's the latter,it's called 'aqua' glass,and it's (usually!) the commonest colour for pre-1900 glass bottles.If you have the means to post a picture it helps clarify what we are talking about,but if not,you can also search 'aqua glass' on this site as well.(STILL waiting for my own camara to be repaired![:mad:])

Hope this helps,

KAT

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi nickbrett, welcome to the bottle forum, I think you may be our first WA member [:D] .
KAT's right that most Schweppes are common but any of there torpedos are still a very nice bottle to find, most (all ?) of the script style ones are aqua and can be very deeply coloured (deep sea green even but not quite so deep as to be counted as true green), yours will have a blob top.
If there was a torp there you should find more goodies on the site, good luck [:D] .

nickbrett

Reaction score
To Kat and Irish,
Thanks for your feedback on the Schweppe torpedo bottle, much appreciated! I have managed to produce a couple of photos of the as yet uncleaned bottle to possibly clarify the colour question. I am unsure of how to describe the shade of green, I simply dug the bottle up, but have no knowledge of the 'technical' qualities of glass. I have attempted to show a portion of the 'script' style writing on the bottle, as described in my initial posting. Any further information would be appreciated. Cheers!!

Lj22994.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22994.jpg
    Lj22994.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 67

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Nick, not to intrude on KAT or Irish, but in case they don't read this for awhile, your bottle would be considered Aqua. Hope this helps, Kelley

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Nick, nice little Schweppes. Although not rare the schweppes with script writing is harder to get than the one with printed capital letters ie SCHWEPPES. I have a couple of different Schweppes hamilton bottles but I don't have that one yet. Great to see a Western Australian joining the forum. I was born and bred in Geraldton WA and began my bottle collecting there when the Gero tip was found in the early seventies. Spent a lot of weekends digging that tip. Now I live in sunny North Queensland and get to eat lots of real cheap tropical fruit. Still, I miss WA sometimes, it will always be home to me. You had better watch out, if you are not a bottle collector you soon will be.
Cheers Alan

nickbrett

Reaction score
Kelley and Alan, thanks for your feedback! I am very impressed by all the assisstance received with this enquiry. Thank you all! So, I have an aqua glass Hamilton Schweppe bottle Circa 1890. Excellent! Does this have any value here in Oz? Should I clean it or leave it as found? Cheers...

IRISH

Reaction score
It will look best if you clean it, do a search of this site for "cleaning" and you will get a LOT of info, just make sure you don't use water that's a fair bit hotter or colder than the bottle if it feels a bout the same temp as the water it will be fine.
They do have value but I'm not sure how much for that variation, not a lot though unfortunately.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen