Hard substance inside neck of bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kledoux1

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a Wheelock Vermont mineral spring bottle . Upon reciept I noticed a small glob of material inside the neck of the bottle just below the lip line. The mateial is very hard like glass but is not transparent. Color is not consistant with the Amber color of the bottle more of a tan/gray. The dealer is very reputable and would take the bottle back but I am not sure if the material could be a result of the application of the top when applied. Any advice??

Thanks

KL

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi KL,
Very hard to advise you without being able to actually see what you might be talking about.Is there any way that you can post a close-up picture of this blob?

KAT

kledoux1

Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply KAT,

The substance is inside the bottle would be impossible to get a pic. It is located just as the slope starts from the neck to the shoulder. I did contact the seller he told me he did not know it was there and thought it sounded like a pot stone ? Which in resarching that term would make a lot of sense. It does sound like glass when I tap on it with a metal rod. And definitley is adhered to the glass in a way that would have to have been done when the bottle was formed.

KL

bigkitty53

Reaction score
As my dad would say that's a good fault!Potstones,bubbles,"whittle"marks,etc. all add interest and character to any old bottle.Just remember a potstone is also a weakness in the glass so be carefull cleaning[;)]

KAT

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960